Cedar Shavings

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by pollodos, Jan 23, 2009.

1. pollodos

pollodos New Egg

Jan 23, 2009
    Are cedar shavings okay to use in brooders instead of pine?

2. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    no no no....cedar is poison. Only pine!

3. pollodos

pollodos New Egg

Jan 23, 2009
    Thanks, I thought I remembered reading that.

4. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Washington State
    Hi,

Do a BYC search for "cedar" & you will see a rather recent exhaustive discussion on the topic.

My opinion is yes though I wouldn't use them exclusively. See my comments on the other post under same topic.

God Bless,

5. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Here it is plainly...cedar has a natural oil in it that is very dangerous for all small animals (rats, mice, gerbils, guinea pigs, rabbits, ferrets, etc etc etc )....including poultry. It highly concentrated amounts or enclosed spaces it will kill them.

Some people use a mix of cedar and pine because the cedar helps keep the area smelling fresher. I would not do it myself and do not ever do it for chicks...that is a 99.9% guarantee of killing them or making them very ill...they are already in a fragile state so why add to that.

Good luck in your decision.

6. Padre

Padre Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    I'm new here, but not to animal husbandry. I strongly agree with the NO'S. If you love your flock it is incumbant on you to do what is best for them. Cedar is LEATHAL

7. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Washington State
    Ok, so I'll do the work and find the post. Here it is:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=118774&p=3

You will see there is NO scientific evidence that cedar is "leathal" or necessarily even harmful to poultry or humans. And I would add "especially" when mixed with pine in no more than a 50/50 mix.

Fact is I've been using cedar with chicks, juveniles, and adults and I have had absolutely NO problems.

Ask yourself this question, IF cedar were such a leathal product, why in the world would every pet store, feed store, and other stores be selling it? The answer: Because it's NOT.

God Bless,

8. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    You will see there is NO scientific evidence that cedar is "leathal" or necessarily even harmful to poultry or humans. And I would add "especially" when mixed with pine in no more than a 50/50 mix.

You won't see anything you dont look for. Sometimes it takes a little effort to find facts

http://www.ratfanclub.org/pine&cdr.html

The reason pet stores sell it is because people will BUY it. It has nothing to do with safety.​

9. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    No cedar. just pine.

Tailfeathers, perhaps you may be right, but I learned that cedar=dead birds, and I would rather not take the risk. Pine for us.

10. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

Every report I've read says pine is just as bad. So why is everyone calling cedar bad an pine good?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by