Cedar Shavings?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chick named Lola, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Chick named Lola

Chick named Lola Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Maryland
    In a pinch I had to get cedar instead of pine shavings, is this ok? It sure does make it smell nice! They also say it keeps away fleas/mites...It's waaaay more expensive but that's all they had and I was desperate!

2. Chemguy

Chemguy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Springfield, Ohio
    In a pinch it will be ok. Long term, your chickens can be poisoned by the shavings. There was a person not too long ago, here, who had a beloved hen die. It was because of cedar shavings.

Here is a link to one of many posts I found by searching on the term "cedar.": https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=125919

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  3. Chick named Lola

Aug 15, 2010
    Maryland
    Holy Crap! [​IMG] It's been in there for several days now...Should I rake it out, I think I'd rather have a dirt floor than that.

4. Chick named Lola

Aug 15, 2010
    Maryland
    Thank you for the info, doh! I should have done a search first! Sorry!

Thanks again!

5. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    sand would be better than cedar...can you get play ground sand? Dirt...anything but that....straw?

http://www.ratfanclub.org/litters.html

This says pine is bad also, but I have never heard this....just about cedar

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Are the chickens adults? If so, it shouldn't be too big a problem if there is adequate ventilation. If they're chicks, that's a problem.

Cedar's aromatic oils can really be harmful to chicks, mostly because the chicks are in a smaller area where the fumes accumulate.

7. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Actually this is an old debate on here. If your birds are outdoors and the coop is well ventilated and you only added some, you should be fine. There are those who have used only cedar for a long time, though I would think in a very airish setting. I've read of a few cases where brooder chicks got sick or even died, possibly from cedar, though.

8. Chick named Lola

Aug 15, 2010
    Maryland
    This is the run that I put the shavings in...the pic was taken while we were still finishing the hardware cloth, corrugated metal roof etc...but you get the idea of how much ventilation they have. It's not totally 100% open with the fence right there... I do have sand in the smaller original small run that is inside the big run now...we just built it right over it.

August 9th they will be 1 year old. I'd rather be safe than sorry so I hauled myself up to get some pine shavings. I raked out almost every bit of cedar and replaced it with the pine. At least I won't have to worry. Too bad I picked a 106 degree day to do it........[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by