Cedar Shavings????

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kudzu vine, Aug 16, 2011.

1. kudzu vine

kudzu vine Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    Olive Branch MS
    I'm using wood shavings in my nesting boxes (ran out of straw). Seems to be working good. Can cedar shavings be used? I know it helps getting rid of pest, i.e. fleas. What about lice? Will the smell keep them from using boxes with cedar shavings? Any direction on this - thanks alot!

2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I wouldn't. The cedar isn't good for your birds and cedar splinters and the splinters are very irritating.

3. kudzu vine

kudzu vine Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    Olive Branch MS
    Never seen anything posted about using cedar. Just wondered. I'll just keep using my wood shavings. Thanks for reply

4. Huskeriowa

Huskeriowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Iowa
    My Coop
    From what I remember reading, cedar in the form of lumber is fine. Cedar shaving are bad though because of some chemical the chicken will ingest. Good luck

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Do a search for "cedar shavings" and you'll find hundreds of threads.

The general consensus is that they are very hard on bird's respiratory system because of the exuded aromatic oils. Some have used them with no problems, I choose to take the cautious side. [​IMG]

6. ChickenAl

ChickenAl Diagnosis...Chicken-Headed

Jun 5, 2011
    Putnam cty, NY
    Cedar shavings are not a good idea. They can be toxic to your chickens. Use pine shavings instead.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by