1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

cedar shavings

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mtnhomechick, Aug 14, 2008.

1. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    I have almost a full bag of cedar shavings........can I put them in the coup? Thought I read somewhere here that I should only use pine.

Thanks

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

The cedar shavings are very fumey, and can cause chickens to get watery eyes, etc.

3. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    Do not add very much. I have added cedar to mine before, but ratio of 2 bags pine to 1/2 bag of cedar. Still smelled nice and no ill effects.

4. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Quote:I would be adding it to straw.........just to get rid of it. Would that work?

5. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    I suppose, not sure, I never used straw ever, it promotes mites and lice in birds and doesnt absorb moisture as well.

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

As long as it's well ventilated and you can't smell it strongly at chicken level it should be fine. In brooders and enclosed spaces where the phenols can build up can lead to respiratory problems.

7. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    Thats what I have heard too, its not great for enclosed areas because of the fumes. But I think, as others stated, in a ventilated area and mixed in with something, it should work alright.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by