ceder trees near coop safe???

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sonew123, Apr 26, 2009.

1. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    hi-I have a friend who is buying 4 of my chicks if and when they hatch!!! Anyway--she has a perfect set up we discovered on teh side of her garage-all frnced in with a great space for a nesting box and roost--trick is though it's right underneath ceder trees--now I know ceder is toxic to use as bedding-dont you think the trees with all its droppings are just as bad if not worse???

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    does anyone know about this at all?

3. azelgin

azelgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    Cedar trees are fine, it's only the shavings/chips that could be a possible problem.

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    these trees shed real bad-you mean it wont hurt them if they eat the droppings from these trees? or bark you know--they will not use the shavings but isnt it the same thing? pieces of ceder or shavings? [​IMG]

5. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    The trees wont hurt them at all.

6. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    My coop is in a thicket of cedar trees. Wonderful insulation in the winter.

7. chanda

chanda Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2009
    MS
    I've never had ANY problems with cedar in a bird pen, and I cut limbs for mine to "play" in and around. PLUS, the rabbits LOVE the nutrients they get from the bark.

You KNOW, I wonder if your friend would be okay with, say, 2 rabbits as penmates?? They could help keep the cedar leaves cleaned up! (And my rabbits and chickens get along REALLY well!)

Just thought I'd throw that in there!

Chanda

8. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    hahaha--Ill MENTION IT! LOL...you had me laughing--my friend was only thinking of taking one of my silkie chicks-then she talked to the lanlords who live right next door-to inform them-they got so excited too-so now they want chickens for eggs to eat-enough for 3 adults and a 10 yr-combined they eat a little more than a doz. a week-I told them to get 3 hens-and 1 silkie for play-I would take it back if it was a roo though

9. sugarbush

sugarbush Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Lexington KY
    Cedar will not hurt the chickens even if they eat the bark and needles. The bedding is respiratory toxic because of hydrocarbons that are broken down and released into the air as the bedding becomes soiled with ammonia from the chicken waste. Pine bedding is also toxic because of the same hydrocarbons. Cedar gets targeted because people assume that it is the cedar smell that is toxic, but in reality all wood bedding has the same hydrocarbons to some level, some more than others. It isn't an issue with proper ventilation to dilute the hydrocarbons in the air that the chicken is breathing. A live tree does not emit hydrocarbons.

10. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    that was amazing and very crystal clear-thank you for the very informative enlightening answer! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by