Cedric the Rooster can't walk HELP, what else can I do? what happened? 6 months old

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by joyfulspirit, Oct 17, 2016.

1. joyfulspirit

joyfulspirit Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2015
    Tomahawk, WI
    Over a week ago my rooster started sitting down more, for a couple days. Then one night he couldn't jump into the chicken coop and went under the house. the next morning I looked under house and brought him out and when I set him down he couldn't stand. I put him in a nesting box for two days . .giving him food and water. No change. I brought him in the house 5 days ago I gave him bone stock with tomato pieces in and infused oregano into it-- it took encouragement to even eat. I have him yogurt made with Unpasterized milk for good bacteria and enzymes to his gut. I gave him Duramycin in water and vitamins. for the last 3 days he has been getting progressively Better. He is "attacking his food vigoriously" so much so that as I sit with him to feed him, where he used to let his wings stay folded down he flaps his wing a lot and unexpectedly so much that yesterday he knocked his breakfast on the floor. I was happy to see because he's getting stronger. His Poops are normal. I take him outside when nice for a few hours. BUT he still can't stand or walk, I give him therapy 3 times per day and thinking of making sling . .any thoughts on what happened and what i can do??????? So want this little guy to walk and be part of our 10 hen crew. No one else is affected like this, just him.

2. clawstar

clawstar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2014
    Lake Stevens, WA
    Does his leg look fine? Actually is it both legs? Can he move his legs at all?

3. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Are his wings weak if so might be Botulism.The leg thing makes me think Mareks

4. joyfulspirit

joyfulspirit Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2015
    Tomahawk, WI
    thank you for your reply, since i posted this almost 5 days ago, you are the only ones who have responded. He died yesterday, but thank you anyway for your concern. He ended up have maggots in his butt and his belly was being eaten away! So we had him ut down

5. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    It might of been Fly strike

6. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    I am very sorry for your loss.

MrsB

7. joyfulspirit