Ceiling Fan? Chickens freaking out!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by WyncoteChicken, Aug 15, 2011.

1. WyncoteChicken

WyncoteChicken Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2011
    Victorian Wyncote
    We just finished our coop last month, and my husband installed a ceiling fan (finally!) for ventilation a few days ago. We turned it on during the day to test it out, and the chickens completely freaked out, so we turned it off. When we went out to close up the coop later that evening, all 14 chickens were huddled outside of the coop on the ramp leading to the run, even though the fan was off. The fan has 4 different speeds and is completely noiseless. Does anyone know if there is any chance they will get used to it? Like if we put it on low during the night when they're sleeping so they don't witness it going from still to moving? I think that's what freaked them out the most was just that it was inanimate and then suddenly became animate.

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I don't know if they'll get used to it or not. Chickens are programed to be on alert for overhead predators such as hawks.

3. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    Just takes them a while to get used to things. I got a farm door where I go into the coop,well I decided to make a screen for the upper half that swings in. Well the first week or so they would absolutely freak out if I swung it open. Now dont even give a look. I think you got the right idea in putting on low while they are roosting but would make sure its completely dark. One thing I learned about chickens is that they are very in tune to their surroundings and if somethings different. Even when I change the pine shavings they come into the coop like it was their first time in there.

4. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    I'd leave it off for a good week or so, or as long as it takes until they are completely comfortable with its presence. Once they get to the point where they don't care if it's there, try giving it a little push when you're in the coop with them so that it spins slowly for a short period of time; see how they react. If they flip, then go back to point A and try again. If they don't get too bent out of shape, then start doing it more often and do some test runs on slow speeds. Offering them treats once they start to get used to it may help as it will show them that goodies show up even if the scary ceiling thing is moving and that it won't hurt them.

Above all, be patient. The last thing you want to do is repeatedly freak them out with it. If you do, they may decide that the coop isn't safe and not want to use it at all.

5. PorkChop

PorkChop Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2010
    North Carolina
    Great post, I will be building a new coop and just about done with the drawings. I have also included a ceiling fan in teh plan and will take note of your experience. Thanks!

6. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    With all the dust chickens generate, I wouldn't bet on a ceiling fan lasting long before it causes problems

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by