Ceiling fan in coop

unbaked pegga

Songster
9 Years
Nov 22, 2014
Lebanon TN
I have a coop with a pitched roof and I think the chickens could benefit from a ceiling fan at night during the hot humid summers here. There is not enough room for a traditional ceiling fan, and I wondered if I could use like a small exhaust fan or like you would use in your bathroom? I have a couple of months before I have to worry about that, but if anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it

Well, if it was me, and I wanted to install some ventilation, I think I'd install a regular vent fan to exhaust air to the outside from up high in the coop, and draw cooler fresh air in from below. I recommend using the proper rated fan in this instance. Cheap bathroom fans aren't rated for exposure to the elements.

I'd also evaluate having the fan automatically controlled so that it only comes at the times you choose or at the temperature range you desire. The devices for controlling this can be found on Amazon.

Well thank you! That is good to know. There is a vent on either side so I can put a small one there. I am going to Amazon right now

I think it best to install the fan blowing fresh clean air into the coop to avoid the dust issue.
Was thinking that....
....best to mount fan on east side of coop to blow cooler air into coop starting in afternoon, even better if east side of coop is shaded by trees like mine is.

Well, not to be contrary, but..........

Fans up high should be facing out to exhaust the warm air outside. The warm air inside the coop will be drawn upward by the fan blowing outward from the interior to the exterior. The cooler air flows in from the bottom to replace the warm air pulled out of the upper end of the coop. Same principle as an attic fan in a house.

Dust is going to move around anyway and a seasonal cleaning of the fan (and vents) is going to be a good idea.

Well, not to be contrary, but..........

Fans up high should be facing out to exhaust the warm air outside. The warm air inside the coop will be drawn upward by the fan blowing outward from the interior to the exterior. The cooler air flows in from the bottom to replace the warm air pulled out of the upper end of the coop. Same principle as an attic fan in a house.

Dust is going to move around anyway and a seasonal cleaning of the fan (and vents) is going to be a good idea.
Yeahbut...much less dust on fan if blowing in than out...... nope, not quite as effective but it does work.

Unless your fan is rated for positive pressure, it will be more effective to use negative pressure at the top of the coop and draw the air out rather than pushing the air in.

Back
Top Bottom