Ceiling height question

Discussion in 'Quail' started by chickgarden, Mar 6, 2014.

1. chickgarden

chickgarden Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2012
    I've been reading that a coop for quail should not be higher than 12" in case the quail are startled and flush. For ease of cleaning and also looks I'm wondering if people have ideas on something to use as sort of a soft "false " ceiling so the height can be closer to 2 feet. But safe for the quail (coturnix).
    We are raising them as "pets" / eggs .

Thanks!

2. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

They make a product called Aviary netting. Its used for making tops to pheasant runs and flight pens. The downside is its pretty spendy for the quail sized mesh and it comes in huge rolls. The only problem using soft tops on small pens is that predators will get up there and try to get in (even if you live in town). You might want to fashion a lid to cover the soft top with during the night, if you decide to go this way.

Personally I build a cheap easy hoop shaped cage that ends up about 3 feet tall. If you click on the link i left you for the cage in that thread i describe what you need and how to make it. If they do flush they don't hit hard.

3. chickgarden

Apr 1, 2012
    dc3085 thanks! I really like the hoop shape. We will use 1/4" hardware cloth because we do get neighbor cats and occasional raccoons. Just so I understand if we use it in the 3 foot height would that be high enough for them not to hit their heads too hard? I haven't been able to find just how high the coturnix even go when they flush.

4. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

When you build that pen with the instructions I gave its actually a bit over 4 feet tall and they lose all the brain damaging power well before then.

5. chickgarden

Apr 1, 2012
    Thanks!

6. If you have an extra bed sheet you can install on the inside making sure it is TAUGHT AND SUSPENDED. Cheap but effective.

Or just build it short.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wish ya the best.

7. chickgarden

Apr 1, 2012
    Chick Charm thanks for the idea!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by