Celadon birds are total jerks? Common?

SassShenn

Chirping
Jun 13, 2022
I have 16 celadons originally from Alchemist Farm hatching egg lines (had 17, but one hen went psycho and nearly killed 3 others, so she went to freezer camp already). I’m noticing that the most a-hole birds I have are from this line of celadons. They are mutilating each other constantly and never seem to sort out their pecking order, even though they are removed from all females. They’ve got more than a sq ft apiece in their pen. They’re all nearly 8 weeks old and are definitely sexually maturing - but they’re also just all mean and unpleasant little birds overall compared to my other non-celadon quail.

Is this a common thing in celadons? Or maybe just a random occurrence? I haven’t seen this extreme of aggression and general jerk-ery with my other birds from MyShire or SW game birds, even when mixed with female hens! I’m at my wits end with these guys where I doubt we will end up keeping any for their genetics simply because they’re so mean.

Last edited:
Aggression is probably genetic, but not specific to celadons. Its unfortunate they were bred only for egg color and not temperament.

Sounds like you have a bunch of males in an isolated pen? That doesn't always work. I usually give up and start sending them to the freezer after 6-7 weeks.

Whites and silvers have been my problem birds. Silvers are also mostly celadons. I too don't think it's a linked trait, but from the stories others tell I'm not unique in my complaints.

May take many generations of culling the meanies to make a difference.

I had the same issue with mine :confused:. But ive found that all my standard sized quail (ive had most colors, too) have been overly aggressive (fights, killing each other). I know aggression in quail is fairly common, and was ready to give up for a bit, but ive had MUCH better success with my jumbos than any others. Seem to be the only docile type ive had, personally. No issues whatsoever with aggression on them, and largest birds with the largest eggs :wee

I had the same issue with mine :confused:. But ive found that all my standard sized quail (ive had most colors, too) have been overly aggressive (fights, killing each other). I know aggression in quail is fairly common, and was ready to give up for a bit, but ive had MUCH better success with my jumbos than any others. Seem to be the only docile type ive had, personally. No issues whatsoever with aggression on them, and largest birds with the largest eggs :wee
You might try a different breeder. The birds from Southwest Gamebirds seems to be among the mellower birds I've hatched.

Back
Top Bottom