1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Celadon Blue Quail Eggs Research and the Autosomal Recessive "ce" Gene

Discussion in 'Quail' started by EdwardsPoultryX, Jul 24, 2015.

1. EdwardsPoultryX

EdwardsPoultryX Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2015
    La Verne, CA
    Here is a great picture I found in the Journal of Heredity!

[​IMG]

Resources

Ito, S., et al. "Celadon: an eggshell color mutation in Japanese quail." Journal of Heredity 84.2 (1993): 145-147.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    There are three Chicken breeds that lay blue eggs: Ameraucanas, Araucanas and Cream Legbars. The blue color is created by oocyanin, which is applied early in the laying process. The blue pigment goes right through the shell, unlike the brown pigment. So blue eggs are blue inside and out.

I have heard of certain recessive strains of Coturnix can lay white eggs and even some blue eggs. I have even heard of light green eggs in Coturnix quail too.

Interesting stuff!

3. EdwardsPoultryX

EdwardsPoultryX Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2015
    La Verne, CA
    So we just put in a batch of Celadon Blue Quail Eggs from James Marie Farms in our GQF 1500 Professional.
    The humidity reads 54% and the racks will auto turn.

[​IMG]

I wonder whats going to pop out in the next 17 days....

4. BethsJumboJaps

BethsJumboJaps Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2015
    Queensland, Australia
    Very interesting! Keep us posted on the chicks when they hatch [​IMG]

5. cutechickstm

cutechickstm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2015
    La Verne, CA
    [​IMG]
    Here is a picture of all the eggs! In 17days we'll finally get to meet them [​IMG]

6. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

The celadon egg mutation currently doesnt 'stick'to any specific genetic material so dont be dishearthened if your offspring dont produce celadon eggs. It will currently crop up at random often skipping generations.

7. MESOMEGUY

MESOMEGUY New Egg

Aug 13, 2015
    PICS! PICS! Let's see the chicks!

8. Sill

Sill Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2013
    Tempe, AZ
    I'm suspecting this gene for blue eggs in coturnix is actually more of multiple genes that inhibit the application of beige, tan and brown egg coatings. Most of my quail lay blue or green eggs when you look at them from the inside. Check out this plate of egg shells from hard boiled cot eggs, most of them are blue and green inside! (Sorry for the lighting, my flash wasn't working)

[​IMG]
    So my theory is these celadon eggs are from hens that don't put the coatings over their blue egg shells. This would explain why the trait is so hard to breed for, it's not a single gene that quail have to put color on their eggs.

9. Dinx

Dinx Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2015
    [​IMG]

10. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

So, I have to ask, if only blue eggs are hatched and breeding stock kept from those quail, will chances of blue egg laying quail increase?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by