Celebrity Chicks had their first outing today!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by arlee453, Jan 23, 2008.

1. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    It's been a really fast 5 weeks! Those little tiny fluff balls that we all watched hatch out on the web cam turned 5 wks old today. They are pretty well feathered, and with a much warmer day (nice and sunny) and heat lamp in the little barn, and 28 chickens total going in there (19 5-wk olds and 9 9-wk old silkies) I think they will be just fine for warmth.

They are having a great time sratching around for the first time out of the brooders!

I'll have to grab some pics for you all and post a bit later.

2. S n M Poultry

S n M Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2007
    Riverside,CA
    that was an awsome expirence. watching them hatch.

3. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    It really was. I really enjoyed that.

4. arlee453

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Now you can watch them on the webcam that's pointing outside!

They are in the smaller pen to the right of the camera image, sharing the space with the silkies. That makes 28 chickens in the ChickNBarn and run - a bit overcrowded for now, but at least more room than they had in the brooder. I was worried the silkies would take offense to them, but aside from a few bumping and pokes, they haven't protested much at all.

It was COLD here today - 18 for the low, and just barely above freezing for the high (I know, I know... but that IS cold for here!) so I left the heat lamp on in the coop. It was funny - all the silkies and the Buff orps ventured out into the run for some exercise, but the barred rocks wouldn't come out of the chickNbarn at all.

Anyway, they seem to be doing just fine.

I'm pretty sure now that I have 4 BO girls and 3 boys, and 4 Barred rock boys and 8 girls. Some of the girls will be going to their new home with a friend of mine in a couple weeks as soon as she is ready for them. Still trying to find homes for the boys (hint hint) and we'll be keeping the rest of the girls to add to our flock.

5. HenHappy

HenHappy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2007
    on my way to you....
    do you have a link to your webcam?

Is the hatch recorded for those of us that missed it?

6. HenHappy

Feb 16, 2007
    on my way to you....
    oops I just saw the link!![​IMG]

7. arlee453

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    I've got a couple of videos on my blog site of the babies hatching. The link to my blog and to my webcam are in my signature line below. Right now the cam is on the outdoor pen 24x7, so when it is dark here (like now) all you see is the red light from the grow out chickNBarn.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2008
  8. HenHappy

Feb 16, 2007
    on my way to you....
    I added you to my favs and I will check it out in the morning. I deffinately want to see the hatch. I would love to hatch my own but I can't so I have to get my peep fix on here!!

9. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

Everyone is up and playing in the yard! Nice set up Arlee!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by