Celery in water to keep from freezing

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Dsanjur, Jan 14, 2019 at 7:47 AM.

1. Dsanjur

Dsanjur Hatching

Monday
    Has anyone tried putting celery in the chickens water to keep it from freezing? We have a 2 gal self waterer and it’s freezing solid. I cut up 2 stalks this am and threw it in hoping to get a couple more hours before it freezes? Appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

Chick-N-Fun and LlamaGirl4 like this.
  2. N F C

N F C Wind? Bah!

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    I've never heard of that to keep water from freezing. I use a heated waterer.

BTW...:welcome

3. Mosey2003

Mosey2003 Crowing

Apr 13, 2016
    NC IL
    That makes no sense. How would celery affect the freezing temperature of water?

4. The more ridiculous the idea, the more people believe it.....since it is so ridiculous it has to be true. Right?

It only works for me if I also add Bloody Mary mix along with the celery. :lau

5. @Dsanjur , dont mind me. Welcome! I can't imagine how or why celery would help. Unless there is some magic substance it produces that slows freezing?

Dsanjur and Chick-N-Fun like this.
  6. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Almy Acres Farm

Jun 26, 2014
    Upstate NY
    Welcome to our Fun-omenal community!
    Since celery is mostly water, it would freeze as well. Using a heated water bowl works much better! :yesss:

Dsanjur and N F C like this.
  7. Welcome to BYC. Glad you joined us. The only thing I have found is changing the water frequently on cold days. Simple, but cheap and effective. Good exercise on a cold day. I'm afraid if I added celery stalks to my waterer my rowdy bunch would likely break into it to get to the celery.

Aceoky, Dsanjur and Abriana like this.
  8. Dsanjur

Dsanjur Hatching

Monday
    Thanks! So my thought process this am was if celery has enough salt in it to help as a perservative, maybe it will have enough salt in it to lower the freezing point of water naturally while using something the chickens can eat! I didn’t do any research this am, but looking now I see each stalk has about 30 mg. I can’t say if it worked since it’s warmed up to 38 degrees now. But I’ll see tonight maybe it will have enough affect if we only get to 20 degrees. Anyways, thanks for taking time to reply!

9. Mosey2003

Mosey2003 Crowing

Apr 13, 2016
    NC IL
    In order to have the water at a high enough salinity to not freeze you'd have to make it un-drinkable. Nice thought though :)

10. Dsanjur

Dsanjur Hatching

Monday
    Haha well at o-dark-30 this was a great idea! Lol. Needless to say they enjoyed their snack! I’ll be switching out water until I get a heater:)

N F C and Mosey2003 like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: