Celiac Disease?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by redhen, May 31, 2010.

1. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    What can you tell me about it? What are the symptoms of it? Is is a dangerous disease? Can it affect your fertility?
    Thanks for any info...
    I dont think i have it...but they just want to test me for it to rule it out because its common for someone with my genetic problems to have it.....
    What kind of test do they do?

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:Redhen,
    It is chronic disease, an intolerance to some grains (Gluten) It is very serious if you do not take care of it. I have never heard that it effected fertility, but I've never needed to ask that question.

This link should answer your questions.

https://health.google.com/health/ref/Celiac+disease+-+sprue

Imp- hope you do not have it.

3. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    No, it is not dangerous (at least not that I have ever heard about). In a bare-bones explanation, it is an auto-immune disease where the body is essentially allergic to Gluten, which is found in wheat and other grains. Yes it can cause infertility. The nice thing about celiac disease is that much of the symptoms go away when gluten is removed from the diet. My brother is a celiac and my mom suspects she is based on similar symptoms as my brother (and her symptoms go away when she eats a gluten-free diet with my brother). I, however, have been tested and do not have it. It is getting to be so common and some restaurants, such as Claim Jumpers, offer a gluten-free menu by request. Many food manufactures are offering gluten-free foods in major grocery store chains as well.

www.celiac.org has lots of information as well. [​IMG]

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Thanks guys! I'll check out the links you posted!
    Darn..i hope i dont have it..i love my gluten.... [​IMG]
    Or is that gluteus?? nevermind... [​IMG]

5. equine623

equine623 Songster

Mar 17, 2009
    NE PA
    Left untreated yes it can be dangerous actually. The villi in your intestine can be permanently damaged by the chronic exposure to the allergen (gluten) and can result in mal-absorption of food. Does this always happen, no. Is it a potential risk, yes.

As far as fertility goes...well not having optimum nutrition can affect fertility. Celiac is considered an autoimmune as well as an inflammatory condition and both of those can affect fertility. Again, is it always linked, no. But it can create an environment in the body that isn't conducive to pregnancy.

Testing is not always accurate...there are blood tests for antigens as well as the "definitive" diagnosis involving intestinal villus biopsy.

Keep in mind you may not be celiac positive, but you can be gluten intolerant. Similar but different, if that makes sense.

I hope you don't have it, it really affects one's entire life.

6. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Crowing

Jan 12, 2010
    Not Dangerous? It can be down right DEADLY if you don't address it and eat accordingly.

My cousin became deathly ill, alot of her intestinal tract turned black and died, had to be removed.... and she almost DIED before they realized what the problem was.

Please don't just blow this off, if you have it!

7. Blue Skys

Blue Skys Hi Mom!!

Nov 25, 2008
    Texas
    Symptoms are not always of the digestive type. I don't have celiacs, but I suspected a gluten intolerance. Once I stopped eating it, my bad skin got much more clear, and I got pregnant for the first time (been married almost 9 years). I'm off the wagon right now, but as soon as this box of oreos is gone, I'm back to gluten free!!

8. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    My husband has celiac and he gets HORRIBLE symptoms if he is exposed to gluten. It takes him days to feel right again if he ingests even the smallest amount. And yes it can cause infertility, miscarriage, stillbirth, cancer and other really bad things. It took him a long time to get dx but the easiest way to find out is to go on a gluten free diet. You will know very shortly if gluten is causing you problems.

Good luck!

9. colowyo0809

colowyo0809 Songster

Apr 27, 2010
    Dacono, CO
    The one problem that people who have celiacs, and even gluten intolerance, is misdiagnosis. I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease 6 years ago but no medications helped. Then, my SO started working at a natural health food store and the nutritionist there took one look at me and knew, flat out knew, that I was at least gluten intolerant. Turns out we both are, so that helps with meal planning. It's not an allergy, it is an intolerance. There is a difference between the two. And, if you are, you have to read labels very very carefully. We have started buying raw ingredients and making our own foods instead of buying processed because it is soo hard sometimes to know what is ok and what isn't. Wheat isn't the only gluten grain. So are barley and rye, and others. Oat, while not itself a gluten grain, is often cross contaminated because wheat and oat are grown and processed in the same areas. And, the more sensitve you are, the more the oat stuff that is not labled certified gluten free is going to affect you. We both feel much better when we are off the gluten. We react in different ways. Mine is more intestinal, while his is more emotional, mental, physical. Gets terrific headaches, is just like the stereotype of a womans time of the month (no offense, but the stereotype is there and it's how he acts!) Read everything you can, because it is definitly a potential hazard for health and life!

p.s. gluten, like corn or petro, is in so many things its not even funny. This website http://www.glutenfreeregistry.com/ is fantastic for finding restaurants and bakeries and such in all 50 states for gluten free stuff. Granted, not every place is on here, and if you find a place that isn't you can definitly add it and leave feedback about it, good or bad. fyi, outback has a gluten free menu, and their chocolate thunda from down unda is gluten free!! do you know how happy i was when i saw that? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

sorry, i'll get off my gluten free box now [​IMG]

ETA: The only real test for gluten intolerance is a genetic test, because the blood tests tend to give 90% false negative results. However, most docs won't recommend it because they don't get paid for it, and it hasn't been researched by the pharm companies because there really is no money in it, since its not something that can be cured [​IMG] However, a lot of health insurance plans will reimburse you for it, you just have to pay for it out of pocket first.
    Blessings and peace!
    Matthew Ryan

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  10. Siler

Siler Songster

Jan 25, 2010
    Central Indiana
    http://www.healingwell.com/community/default.aspx?f=36

Try
    that site as well. I visit this health forum a lot as I have Ulcerative Colitis. It's the whole reason I bought chicks so I could have my own eggs full of folic acid and natural iron.

I worked with a guy whose mother has Celiac's and now hubs' uncle has it. It's like being lactose intolerant only MUCH worse. There's wheat gluten in almost everything you eat and/or drink.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by