Cell phone as spy???

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by dixiechick, Jan 13, 2009.

1. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Curious little story. A friend of mine is going thru a divorce. Sad, but true. In the middle are two adorable little boys...a 2 year old and a 9 year old. Dad buys the 9 year old a cell phone equipped with a GPS tracking device....WHY??? TO TRACK HIS EX-WIFE (because the boys live with her)!!!! Can you believe that!!!

My advice to her was to find a stray dog or squirrel and duct tape the phone to it. Then sit back and watch the fun on his dollar!! [​IMG]

Seems like that is a bit over the line....huh?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator~~~ BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I would turn the phone off and stick it in a drawer. Why does a 9 YO need a cell phone?

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    If I were in his situation, I'd want to know where my kids are.

What a great idea.

4. dixiechick

Then why the GPS? You could CALL the kid and ask where are ya.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Maybe he doesn't want to be too intrusive... just wants to know where his kids are.

There is another invention for someone.... GPS implants for kids in a divorce. Bother parents get a homing devise.

6. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    GPS phones for kids are all the rage - doesn't mean I would give my 9 year old one. I guess to me the situation depends on the ex's intent. Was he abusive or a concerned father??

There was a site on line that allowed you to pay for GPS service on ANY phone as long as you knew the number and would pay for the service. Several women died before the gov't agreed that maybe this was a violation of people's privacy rights.

Don't you fret. Kids will be chip implanted here before too long.

7. AhBee01

AhBee01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    yo. ohio
    Boy that's a waste of money, cuz if she was going somewhere she didn't want him to know about does he think she would bring the kids? What a dummy She needs to have the mobile devise dismantled, tell her attorney, that is a invasion of privacy!
    Brenda

8. buckeye lady

buckeye lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Rootstown Ohio
    Most newer cell phones are equiped with GPS tracking devices. My cell has one. It's for emergency use, Like if you call 911 and they can't find you. The GPS cannot be accessed by just anyone. Your friends husband can't track the child from his phone. I'm not sure why a 9 year old needs a cell phone but Mom should monitor the cell phone use. She should periodically check the dialed and recieved calls so that she knows who her kid is talking to. FYI-Turming off the cell phone does not necessarily disable the GPS tracking device.

9. dixiechick

He left her for another woman....was very dominant, very controlling. She still talks to him often, then when she takes the kids to the movies is harrassed by her ex (who LEFT HER) where is she and what does she think she is doing...

????

This is where I have the problem. Her attorney is working on it. I completely believe it's an invasion.

I think of the cost thing too. The man bought the kid a Wii too, but won't that expensive thing go to his mother's...so why is the cell phone so darn important.

Their agreement is that either parent can call and speak to the children at anytime. Therefore, to me, the cell phone isn't necessary.

10. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Actually buckeye some services do allow him to track the phone from his own computer - or blackberry. Depends on the service.

You are right every cell has GPS in it. The question is who can access that info.

As for an invasion of privacy - well he gave the phone to the child and children have no privacy rights under the law. Especially from a parent, custodial or not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by