Cell phone opnion

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by jjdward, Jul 7, 2011.

1. jjdward

jjdward How bout them DAWGS!

May 4, 2009
    Buchanan, Georgia
    I need some opinions on a new cell phone and here are the "facts of the case" lol:

I have a Blackberry Tour now and I have Verizon. I've got my eye on 3.The HTC Thunderbolt, the Sumsung Charge or the Blackberry Bold. Now I'm not a tech person so if you get too deep I'll get lost quick!

Here are my questions:
    Does anybody personally have a either of the threephones I mentioned and if so, what are the pros and cons.

PS: Not a big fan of the iphone. My wife has one and I'm not impressed with it as much as most people. lol

ETA:

Also, what do you think about the "Certified pre owned" phones Verizon has for a lot less than the new ones? I've never bought one but I'm just a little skeptical

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  2. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    You missed a key piece of info finish the sentice "I want my phone to let me do _________________"

That will let you zero in on what matters to you. Example my dad spent a silly amount on a new smart phone, because the guy told him it was "the best", dad doesn't know how to text, use the web oor any of the other features, he just wants good reception, and gps maps, he hates it, as he has to hit 3 buttons to actually pick up a ringing phone.

3. jjdward

jjdward How bout them DAWGS!

May 4, 2009
    Buchanan, Georgia
    Quote:You do make a good point, as usual!!!! surf the web, email, text ,photos, gps/maps but not a lot of gaming or videos really. I do get a moderate amount of email. That help?

4. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Note on blackberries: RIM is having a nuclear meltdown right now, their CEOs are being nutty, their employees are jumping ship, the whole bit. I personally would stay away from the Dingleberry!

Now if it were me, the Charge has a AMOLED screen. (Basically, one of the best displays for phones other than retina, which is iPHone 4) and is bigger. (Me likey the biggey.) They say it gets worse battery life than the Thunderbolt when using 4G. (This can be switched off, though, which is the selling point for me!)

Thunderbolt and Charge run basically the same OS, so if it were me, I would pick the phone with more features, the Charge. As for preowned, I can't attest to it personally, but I would look at it like this: Will the phone (relatively fragile object) last me two years if it is preowned? Or will the price drop justify maybe having to replace my phone later?'

Also, when purchasing a smartphone, DO NOT FORGET the bumper to bumper warranty/insurance thing. That $5 a month can save you $500. ( My $600 smartphone was dropped into water, and it cost me $50 to replace with warranty, compared to the $600.)

5. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    ^Above post is perfect for what you described! [​IMG]

6. 4Hchickenproject

4Hchickenproject Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    My post will really be of no help to you. But, I got the Kin One, a free upgrade from Verizon. I wanted touchscreen, qwerty keyboard, internet, e-mail, photos, videos, and that's about it. I love it, and people are always asking about it, as it is rather unusual looking. I don't carry a purse, so this is very thin and fits nicely into my back pocket. Personally, I like simple and cheap. My 11yo son wants one of the fancy-schmancy phones, but I'm still saying NO to ANY cell phone for an 11yo [​IMG]

7. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Can only give opinion on the pre=owned phones..... I have always bought Verizon Pre-owned. Never had an issue with any of them and trust me, I am super rough on phones. I drop them, a lot and that includes in the Barn, pasture, chicken pens......

8. NixNoodleNumbat

NixNoodleNumbat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Australia
    I recommend you don't use a touch phone and definitely not a motorola.

9. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I LOVE my HTC G2, so I'm voting the HTC. Definitely need to move to Android from the RIM device- it's a thousandfold more intuitive, and you'll really enjoy the change.

The gorilla glass on the HTC makes the decision for me- I'm the WORST on screens and mine is still immaculate after nearly a year...and I chuck it into my purse with keys, screws, drill bits...put it into my back pocket with keys, screws, drill bits...you get the idea.

10. Saltysteele

Saltysteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    i've been looking at phones a bit lately, too.

been looking at the thunderbolt and the charge, but neither really do it for me. the droid x2 is what i'm leaning towards, but there is talk of the droid bionic (motorola's next droid 4G phone) coming out in the next year or so, and if everything goes as planned and promised (which never happens) will be better than all the others mentioned.

couple things, though, not all areas have 4G. if you have an area that DOES have 4G, 4G is not as fast as it should be. i forget if it's supposed to be 10X or 100X faster, but consumer's reports says there is not a 4G network from anyone in the US that is as fast as what 4G is supposed to be.

we've got 4G in Grand Rapids, which is an hour from me, but that does me no good when i only travel once or twice a month.

basically, people are only recommending 4G over 3G at this point, to get in on the pricing of 4G while it is still at the same price as 3G. my questions are 1) why would 4G go up, why wouldn't 3G go down in price?, and 2) who said the price is going to change at all, this is all just speculation, and if it were going to be more expensive, wouldn't it increase while they are building the infrastructure and when it is new? are they going to raise the price on 3 year old technology?

for me, i'm waiting to see what happens with the bionic. there are lots of complaints about 4G phones' batteries, as they are constantly searching for 4G service when not in a 4G area, and drain the battery quick by doing this. not all of them have the ability to turn 4G search off. just not sold on the charge, and the thunderbolt has left some wanting (according to the reviews).

kind of like politics - you have to pick which one to vote for, by determining which ones you want to vote for least

if something happens with the bionic in the next year or so and it doesn't change from what it is slated to be (well, if it doesn't change much more than it has already changed from what it was supposed to be), i'll jump and get one. otherwise, i'll sit here with my talk only verizon plan [​IMG]

i've always been more than pleased with motorola products in the past, and was quite often let down when i went in another direction. i'm also not one of those people who won't get a motorola, just because so many people like motorola (hope that's not too confusing [​IMG] )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by