Cellulitis (blisters) all over my hen's body !

Bruwen chicks

Chirping
Feb 4, 2016
Loxahatchee, FL
I have a 2 yr old hen which is some type of RIR, Gamebird cross that i bought at a small animal auction as a very young chick. She had a bout with fowl pox when she was about 5 wks old and lost part of her beak but has always remained strong and ate well and laid plenty of eggs. She roosts at night in 1 of 2 chicken houses which are made of wood and chicken wire with a latched door. She is 1 of 20 hens at this time. The bugs, mosquitos and spiders have been horrendous at our farm in North Florida !! .....I just returned home 2 days ago from Georgia where our family is devastated by hurricane Michael and was gone for 6 days and noticed that she looked smaller in size and had a strange shape to her wings...when i picked her up it was hard not to cry....she is covered with large red blister-like lesions all over her! both wings are swollen and tight, one is on her neck, several on her torso and around her vent.....I am a retired nurse and tried to start some treatment asap with what i had on hand...i started with tepid bath with water & betadine sol. which she didn't fight and seemed to calm her some, then i gave her 1/2cc of Tylan 50 SQ, isolated her with fresh bedding and a heat lamp. i also used poultry wound spray all over her and spot applied hydrocortisone cream and gave her a drop of bantamine paste orally.....My hens have been molting for the past 2 wks..she is currently growing new feathers...Has any ever seen this before? I sincerely appreciate any help,
Thank you in advance and God Bless
Blisters on chx1.jpg
Blisters on chx2.jpg
Blisters on chx3.jpg
Blisters on chx4.jpg
Blisters on chx1.jpg
Blisters on chx2.jpg
Blisters on chx3.jpg
Blisters on chx4.jpg

Poor thing.

Have you brought any new birds home recently?

Back
Top Bottom