Cement to reinforce my coop?

City Coop

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 6, 2012
San Francisco, CA
I moved into an amazing house that came with a chicken coop last year. We had a few chickens, but lost them from a raccoon attack. The enclosed run is built along the fence on two sides. One clever raccoon dung under the fence. The two other sides have deep fencing. One of my roommates suggested to dig a trench around the fence and pour cement. Has anyone tried this? Sound like a good idea?

I have some wire to put up a skirt on the fence, but also have a fair amount of cement readily available.

It would work but would probably be a more expensive and labor intensive solution than digging a trench and attaching a foot or so of hardware cloth to bottom of fence with tacks then filling in trench.

There's no point in digging when an apron of wire on or near the surface will accomplish the same thing with a LOT less effort.

Just lay it on the ground, and cover with enough dirt so the grass can grow up through it to anchor it in place

u dont have to bury it. it will rust anyway......attach to bottom and lay it out 18-24 inches on the ground. Stops diggers and they are no wise enough to back up to dig. they want to dig at the fence

i also lost my flock to coons....... i dug a trench down about a ft. put 1/2 inch wire fencing in the trench and poured cement... didn't cost much, i think 4 or 5 bags... the fencing is expensive......... good luck..

Back
Top Bottom