Central and Southern Illinois Meet-up!

Discussion in 'Chickenstocks, Shows, Meet-Ups' started by StevenW., Jan 24, 2012.

1. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    I'm hosting a meet-up for central and southern Illinois on May 26 which is a saturday. Anyone in other states that want to come are more than welcome! We have a deck, pavillion, pool (should be set-up by that date) tons of open space to run around if you have young children. Theres also space to park your camper if you dont feel like driving back at night. We also live about 9 miles away from Effingham which has quite a few of motels/hotels. We will provide food and beverages, but you are more than welcome to bring anything you'd like. We should have plenty of chairs, but please bring your own just incase. I have no problem with you bringing birds or eggs, but please understand that they will need to be in a secure cage with fresh, clean water and feed. I also wont be held aliable for anything that happens to them.

Also, ALL poultry areas will be off limits to everyone! Unless you have a change of shoes and clothes.

If you have any questions please PM me! Thanks! We live in Shumway, IL.
    Address is: 409 South West Street

~Steven

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  2. NotAFarm

NotAFarm Embracing the New! Premium Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Illinois
    Steven, I'll put this on my calendar and see if I can make it. I "Map Quested" Shumway and it's about 4 hours from me, difficult to make it down, visit and back in the same day, we'll see!!

3. StevenW.

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Would love for you to come! Do you have a camper that you could borrow from one of your friends or neighbors? There's also plenty of hotels and motels in Effingham which is roughly 9 miles from where we live.

4. NotAFarm

NotAFarm Embracing the New! Premium Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Illinois
    My need to make it a day-trip has more to do with me being home to care for my flock than anything else. I have a "chicken buddy" that does chores for me when I'm not able to but she will be doing them for my vacation earlier in May and I hate to ask her constantly. She rarely goes anywhere for me to repay the favor. Last year, she came with me to ParadiseFoundFarm's get-together and got a Lav Ameraucana pullet from JerrySe there. I don't know if she'd want to travel 8 hours round-trip with me but I'd like to offer. My DH doesn't "get" the whole "love of chickens thing" and he will be working that Saturday so I'd like to have company on the drive. I'm not ruling-it-out at this point!!! [​IMG]

5. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Steven,
    I am going to put in for this day off. We will be there if they let me have the day off work. I will probably bring a friend who has chickens that I have been trying to get her to join BYC. She has a farm too so maybe next year we can persuade her to host one at her farm. I am try to get Stormylady to come with us. We will probably just do a day thing although DH said we could bring the camper and make a weekend out of it just depends on the work schedule. Looking forward to meeting you. I know Robin has (EweSheep). She is such a sweet lady.
    Sheila

6. StevenW.

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Notafarm - Would love for you to come but don't come out of youre way to make it.
    Sheila, bring anyone you want, the more the merrier!

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Ive got the van, maybe ALL of us can pile in and GO for the day! I have a hard time reaching Stormylady too. I'm putting this on our calender!
    I can plan a meet up at Rural King in Mt Zion, plenty of parking space for anyone to park there unless the store prohibits us from parking there or move across the street to WalMart parking lot. What you all think? I think I can pack in four more people in the van with very little room in the back for animals unless they can go on top of rack in the van LOL, enclosed carriers please. In case hubby wants to go too.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  8. StevenW.

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    *Snicker* I read that as "Bring carriers in case hubby wants to go." LOL [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. bestpractice

bestpractice Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2011
    Hi, I'm new to the forum and new to raising chickens. I just got a text and McMurray's shipped my little chicks out this morning. I would love to meet others in the area (I'm south of Springfield) that raise chickens. I was looking for posts from people who live in Central or Southern IL who raise chickens and sell breeding stock when I found this post.

10. StevenW.

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Congrats on the new chicks!
    You can put up a Wanted ad for what your're looking for and see if anyone has it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by