Central Ohio poultry market- what kind of living can you make?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by beanmcnulty, May 18, 2011.

1. beanmcnulty

beanmcnulty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Baltimore, OH
    Just curious, I am dreaming here, if anyone who raises poultry small scale in Ohio- Heritage or CX- what kind of profit is there in it? I know there are a million factors, but if I could net $20K a year, or less considering raising of our own food- I would be happy. I dont know how large a scale would be required for this amount of income- does anyone with experience starting up a small home business have any input? Am I crazy? We have 3.5 acres, 2.5 we do not use for anything but walks:) I just would love to be home with kids and work at what I like to do!

2. Buster52

Buster52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2009
    Geronimo Oklahoma
    I think Jeff Brunty is in Ohio and he seems to do pretty well with it.

3. beanmcnulty

Feb 10, 2011
    Baltimore, OH
    Quote:I am finding him right now!

4. Bossroo

Bossroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Yea ... Jeff ain't your typical backyard operator !!! [​IMG]

5. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio

If he doens't get back with you right away, don't think anything of it, as I know he is crazy busy right now. He does a lot more than just poulty, but is a good brain to pick for this type of information.

6. beanmcnulty

Feb 10, 2011
    Baltimore, OH

If he doens't get back with you right away, don't think anything of it, as I know he is crazy busy right now. He does a lot more than just poulty, but is a good brain to pick for this type of information.

Yes I see he is a busy guy...I am from by Cleveland too btw, I have some entrepreneur family members and they also inspire me! Do quite well in the Restaurant/Bar biz in the Cleve area.

7. bigredfeather

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Quote:If he doens't get back with you right away, don't think anything of it, as I know he is crazy busy right now. He does a lot more than just poulty, but is a good brain to pick for this type of information.

Yes I see he is a busy guy...I am from by Cleveland too btw, I have some entrepreneur family members and they also inspire me! Do quite well in the Restaurant/Bar biz in the Cleve area.

Then you're his COMPETITION! I wouldn't trust a word he says.

8. bigredfeather

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Have you ever raised any type of meat bird?

9. beanmcnulty

Feb 10, 2011
    Baltimore, OH
    Quote:Yes I see he is a busy guy...I am from by Cleveland too btw, I have some entrepreneur family members and they also inspire me! Do quite well in the Restaurant/Bar biz in the Cleve area.

Then you're his COMPETITION! I wouldn't trust a word he says.

Oh no i meant I grew up up there, we live in columbus area now, hopefully then we are not competitors!

10. beanmcnulty

Feb 10, 2011
    Baltimore, OH
    Quote:Nope just DP so far. But really I wouldnt want to do CX, I am thinking of fast growing Dels?? Want to be sustainable and have them breed true, on premisis.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by