Central Texas peeps: need coop advice for the hot summers

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Skittleinaustin, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Skittleinaustin

Skittleinaustin Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2011
    Austin
    I'm starting to build a coop as a first time chicken owner. I've read posts on dealing with the heat including using musters, fans and frozen water and foods, but I'm not seeing much on what type of coop works best in our area. In addition, I've got an area with cedar trees which I can use to shade the coop or the run. Thoughts?

2. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

I would for sure try and build in the shade and build it as good and secure as you can, but with a lot of good ventilation. I would go for a fan before misters

3. Desert Peep

Desert Peep Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    Hi from Tucson. We also have to deal with extreme heat for many months on end. I built an open coop for my girls; solid siding on one side and hardware cloth on the other three sides. I also built a permanent roofing structure on the part of the run where the coop sits, so it's pretty much always in the shade. The girls spend most of their day under the coop in the shade.

Under construction (no roof or ramp yet)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finished coop. Permanent roof over the run isn't built yet in this photo.
    [​IMG]

Here's another coop that I built with all four sides hardware cloth.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  4. redhotchick

redhotchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Fort Worth
    Here is how I build them. Use heavy gage wire. It lets air flow right through.In the winter,just make plywood covers.
    [​IMG]

5. Urban Chaos

Urban Chaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2011
    Austin
    I would go with either a 3sided or a very ventilated 4 sided design. We did a 4 sided with sides open near the top and open "windows". I've also made sure my run has plenty of shade (put tarps over screened top) and have water inside and outside the coop. So far so good.[​IMG]

6. skya328

skya328 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    Quote:This coop looks great! I need to build something like that... It's H O T here in Dallas lately!

7. Melinda35

Melinda35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Texas
    I definitely recommend a three sided coop built where there is as much shade as possible. Mine is built out of side boards off old cotton trailers. Since the side boards are metal I did not have to add any chicken wire at all. The only predator that has been in my coop is a snake. I saw one the other day that was fully covered in metal. I felt so sorry for those chickens. Even if they are just in there at night it is too hot here to be enclosed. 100s during the day and upper 70s at night!! I would also have it off the ground so they can go under it. I give them fresh water every morning and afternoon and pour the old water under the coop. They love to lay in the cool dirt.

Apparently I don't have a picture of the finished coop but here is part of it. There is metal over the top where the next boxes and roost are located and wire on the rest. They did get wet in the winter so I am considering putting metal over the whole top. Make sure the side that is enclosed is the north side.

[​IMG]

8. TheJuan-n-Only

TheJuan-n-Only Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
    I'm from Tampa, FLa and we we a lot of heat and Rain...so I went with a 3 sided coop with an attached run....the ladies spent their 1st night in the coop last night...they weren't very happy since it rained and thundered a little (lots of noise)....but they were nice and dry. Not only I have the coop/run under share, put I have a roof on the entire thing! Good luck!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=67489-dh1-coops-page

9. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    Definitley an open air coop and fans. I only have walls where my roost and next boxes are. I also have a ventilation fan to blow hot air out. And definitley in the shade if possible.

10. Skittleinaustin

Skittleinaustin Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2011
    Austin
    Thx so much everyone for the suggestions. I will go 3 or 2 sided for sure and am going to adjust so I'm south facing and in the shade. It will be a month or two before I get my girls so hopefully things will have cooled off by then.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by