cerabral palsy like symptoms

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by leesbunny, Mar 19, 2012.

1. leesbunny

leesbunny Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2012
    Timbuctoo
    I am holding a 1 1/2 month old right now on my lap. She had been seeming listless in the coop for about 2 days. Then she started to fall over when she walked. I brought her in because there are bigger ones out there and I feared they would pick on her. She then curled one foot when she walked. Now she can only scoot backwards. Her poo was normal last night, but none so far today. I have been making her drink, then she sometimes will drink herself. She ate some boiled egg and some feed this morning. Now her legs are shaking and she doesn't walk at all. Forgive me I am typing one handed. She is not improving at all, but getting worse. She is alrt and responsive to her surroundings. What if anything can I do? It seems like a stroke or cerebal palsy like. If I can do nothing, I will have to have my hubby put her down as I can't do that. What is the most humane way to do that. Sorry, this is my first batch of chicks and I want to do everything I can. Let me know if there is more info I can give.

2. Vedwards

Vedwards Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Im having the same problem, where did you get her at?

3. leesbunny

Mar 19, 2012
    Timbuctoo
    From a lady in Wisconsin. I have gotten all 19 of mine from her and only one is acting this way. I think she purchase the hatching eggs from someone though.

4. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I would dose her with Corid incase she has coccidiosis and it is weakening her. The other worry is Mareks disease ..... In that case there is not much you can do.

5. leesbunny

Mar 19, 2012
    Timbuctoo
    What are the symtoms of each?

6. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

It can differ in each chicken, but basics are

In Coccidiosis - fluffed unthrifty appearance, closed eyes, can have blood in poo, weight loss, paleness, stop eating and drinking, falling over, weakness in one leg or both.

Mareks - sudden onset of limping, often just one leg seems affected. Weight loss, often sits one leg forward one backward... Progresses up the neck till loss of control....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by