Ceramic Bulbs & In-Line Thermostats

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by TipsyDog, Oct 12, 2009.

1. TipsyDog

TipsyDog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    I want to set up a heating system in case I need it in the coop for the winter.

I was thinking of trying one of these ceramic infared bulbs that emit no light, only warmth. Has anyone ever tried one? Are they worth it and do they emit enough heat? I've only found 150 watt bulbs so far.

I also want to plug it into an in-line thermostat like the one in the picture. If I set one of these to, say, 30 degrees, does it cycle on and off to maintain 30? I would think that's how it works, but thought I'd ask if anyone out there has one. Thanks!

Bulb:
    [​IMG]

Thermostat:

[​IMG]

2. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    Hi Tipsy - I use a ceramic bulb. LOVE it. Don't have it hooked up to a thermostat, though. What I can tell you is that it doesn't heat up the air so much as a whole. More so, it radiates heat down, warming surfaces beneath it (like hens on a roost). So if you have it connected to a thermostat set at 30, and your temps are anything like mine, it will probably just be on 24/7, making the thermostat a waste of money.

I run a 250 watt in my insulated coop. It seems to keep the air temps about 12 degrees warmer than outside until the temps go below 0. Underneath the bulb directly it's warmer. Around -10F I usually hook up a second lamp, using a red light to increase the overall temperature inside the coop.

PS - in the bare bones of winter, my coop is usually about 10-15 degrees with added heat. We have about 2 weeks, usually in January, where it doesn't get to 0 for a daytime high, and those are the times I use the second lamp, again to keep the coop around 5-10F.

For now, while the daytime temps are in the low 30s, I am only using a 150 watt ceramic bulb and it is keeping the coop around 45. When it gets cooler I will switch over to the 250 watt as the 150 watt just can't keep up. I bought it on ebay.

Hope this helps!

3. TipsyDog

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    CityChook: Thanks for all the info. I kind of figured that the ceramic bulb heats objects vs. air space. I'll have to stick with the red heat lamp because my coop isn't high enough to have the bulb hang over them. I just thought the ceramic would have be great because it produces no light and wouldn't have interfered with the girls' sleep. Things are never easy!

I will probably still go with the thermostat for the heat lamp. I'd hate to have that running all the time for fear my coop would get too warm. I don't want that much of a temperature swing so that they are still used to the cold, but a few degrees warmer than outside. My coop is very well insulated so I hope they will be comfortable throughout the winter.

I'm still worried that the red heat lamp may disturb the girls' sleep patterns!

4. BigBen

BigBen Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Smithfield,RI
    I know this is an old post, but I'm doing research. When I built my coop I installed 2 extra light sockets over the roost. there only like 18 or 20 inches above the roost... is that to close or are the bulbs not that hot.

5. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    Quote:Too hot. And close enough to touch and get burned. Can you raise them up - or lower the roost?

Tipsy - The red light will probably work better with the thermostat. Hopefully other will chime in here with more experience. The red light kept my girls up, but once it gets really cold I use it anyways. They don't like it, but I think it tends to be the "change" that they don't like more than the red light. My guess is that they will become accustomed to it and all will be good. Hey, everybody needs to sleep eventually...

6. BigBen

BigBen Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Smithfield,RI
    My girls pulled half of there pine shavings into a huge pile and during the day they take naps on it.
    If they need to sleep...they will.

7. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    If you do use the red lights, buy as large a reflector as you can get that will fit. It multiplies the heat and makes it directional, which is what you want.

8. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    TipsyDog: I also want to plug it into an in-line thermostat like the one in the picture. If I set one of these to, say, 30 degrees, does it cycle on and off to maintain 30? I would think that's how it works, but thought I'd ask if anyone out there has one. Thanks!

I use a thermostat all most like that in my greenhouses.
    I like them. They will hold the temp. at what you set it at. Say you set it at 30* it will turn on and off the heat source to keep the room at 30*

This is the kind I have..
    http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/Portable-Prewired-Thermostat/productinfo/CT-1000/

Chris​

9. TipsyDog

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  10. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I was thinking of just hanging a 250 red in my coop that isn't insulated. its 12x8x 9-10 I think. it's high. shoiuld I use one or two. i was thinking of tow one white to go in at 6:00am with a timer and off at 8:00pm. that ok?

right now i have osme that roost up top but the soffits are open and hardwireed cover. should I be concerned about a draft if they choose to roost up there?

What about those plastic heated watereers. It's 3 gallons but my girls don't drink that much.

I'm at library, no compute it broke, pm me please.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by