1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ceramic Eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 64fyermun, May 12, 2011.

1. 64fyermun

64fyermun Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2011
    I was wondering where a good place to find ceramic or wooden eggs?

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I think you can find them in craft stores. If you are looking for them to put in a nest box, you can also use golf balls.

3. LilChickCoop

LilChickCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Central Florida
    Cracker Barrel- that's where I got mine.

4. honda_DT

honda_DT Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2011
    I've been looking for one of those for about a week now and decided to make my own with a 2" by 2" block of wood and a spindle sander them im going to paint it white. I would recommend this.

5. honda_DT

honda_DT Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2011
    HAHAHA! as I was typing that one of my 12 chickens just laid the first egg of the group!

6. 64fyermun

64fyermun Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2011
    Thanks for the help. We have a Cracker Barrel here and I find plenty of golf balls when I'm in the woods looking for mine.

7. Life is Good!

Life is Good! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    suburbia Chicagoland
    Any large craft store will sell wooden eggs of various sizes. They're not expensive at all.
    Ceramic ones I find this time of year (just after Easter) in the sale bins!
    Oriental Trading Company has eggs also - forgot if they were wood or ceramic.
    I'm wondering if a rounded stone would work - got tons of those in the yard (round here they're called 'river rocks'). They'd hold a hen's body heat very very well!

Can't wait for our 6wk old to grow up!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by