Ceramic heat bulb?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Miss Lydia, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I know no one want to think about winter, but I am interested in those bulbs that don't immet light for heat in my coop, has anyone used them? you know the kind thats used to keep snakes and lizards warm. I'd like to order now and be ready when the time comes. Also what is the best wattage? Thanks

2. Laurieks

Laurieks Where did the time go???

Aug 14, 2009
    Sonoma County, CA
    I have one & love it. I think it's 125W. I only use it in the brooder, as it's not too cold here in winter.
    They cost a bit more than a bulb, but use less power & last longer, and the chicks get to have real day/night hours.

3. Life is Good!

Life is Good! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    suburbia Chicagoland
    I've used those ceramic bulbs for our box turtles and for our iguanas.

What I learned was to REALLY MAKE SURE that the wattage on the bulb matches the wattage on the fixture that you use. I've burned out a fixture using a bulb that wasn't rated for it. Thankfully, it simply blew the fuse - not burned the tank or anything.

I've also learned that it's kind of hard to regulate (in a closed environment like a tank) the level of heat emitted. Chickens, being more mobile, would likely find their 'comfort' zone under or nearby the fixture. They really do give off quite a bit of heat.

Perhaps (when it's a tad cooler), you could set it up in something like a small bedroom or bathroom, and measure the level of heat at various points (starting temp, after 1hr, after 3hrs, after 6hrs, etc.) - that way you could see what the bulb would offer.

Good luck!

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Life is Good! :

I've used those ceramic bulbs for our box turtles and for our iguanas.

What I learned was to REALLY MAKE SURE that the wattage on the bulb matches the wattage on the fixture that you use. I've burned out a fixture using a bulb that wasn't rated for it. Thankfully, it simply blew the fuse - not burned the tank or anything.

I've also learned that it's kind of hard to regulate (in a closed environment like a tank) the level of heat emitted. Chickens, being more mobile, would likely find their 'comfort' zone under or nearby the fixture. They really do give off quite a bit of heat.

Perhaps (when it's a tad cooler), you could set it up in something like a small bedroom or bathroom, and measure the level of heat at various points (starting temp, after 1hr, after 3hrs, after 6hrs, etc.) - that way you could see what the bulb would offer.

Good luck!

I am thinking of using it in the fixture for using a heat lamp, that way it's enclosed , I am thinking 125, I don't want it above freezing in the coop but high 20's would be nice. Thanks for the replys [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by