1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ceramic Heat Emitter Bulbs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Superior Chicks, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Superior Chicks

Superior Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

How do these emitters compare to the regular red bulbs? Warmer? Better distribution of heat? Last longer?

Please share your experience with them. I'm trying to decide between the two. I've always used the infared bulbs. The ceramic ones are way more expensive, are they worth it?

2. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

I used the ceramic ones with my baby chicks because I wanted them to experience day/night cycles naturally. They were perfectly fine, the emitters are great, give off plenty of heat. I've never used the red lights so I can't compare, but you can get the emitters in different strengths. I got mine off Ebay and they were much cheaper. I'd recommend them.

3. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Ceramics live forever. They heat well and you don't have the worries of breakage.

4. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    So glad to see this post.

Do these ceramic bulbs have a reduced life if they are turned on/off daily (ie: Am I better off just turning it on and leaving it on for the winter?)?

Do they use copious amount of energy? I know running my red light in the brooder didn't make a blip on the radar...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by