Ceramic Infrared Heat Emitter (gonna try it out tonight!)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Granolamom, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Granolamom

Granolamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Dallas
    I know that you guys in the REALLY cold climate zones smile about us Southerners worrying about temps in the 10's or 20's, but I have decided, that I'll feel better if I heat my coop at night. At first I went with a heating lamp with white light, but the chickens had a fit. Then, I switched it to a red bulb, but could tell that they did not sleep well and were real uneasy (I checked on them several times before I went to bed, and they were not asleep). Then, someone on here mentioned a black light, but I went EVERYWHERE today in search of one, and could not find one. So, I found a Heat Emitter at Petsmart, which is usually used for reptile terrariums. There's no light, only heat, and hopefully this will do the trick (it screws into a normal clamp lamp). It was $42, but if it works, and keeps the temps in my coop at least around 40, I'll be happy. Has anyone ever used one of these?

2. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I have never used one but I would be interested to find out if it helps. I would need an extension cord about 50 yards long but it's so cold here now I may have to do something.

3. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    I am one of those folks in the REALLY cold climate (it was -21F this morning and it won't go above -5 for a high today). I swear by my ceramic bulb. I have a 250 watt on 24/7 (and now have a second red bulb on until this cold breaks). It warms my coop about 12 degrees warmer than outdoor temperatures.

You're right, the red light keeps the chooks up. The ceramic will not. Remember, it's radiant heat, which means that it heats surfaces, not air. Don't be alarmed when your thermostat says that it's not warming up in there. If they are under the bulb, they are getting the heat.

So far, even with our unbelievable temperatures, I haven't had any frostbite issues.

Good luck!

4. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    I too am worried about the cold. We are to hit low single digits tonight. My chicks are 13 weeks old and have never had temps this low. I have two lights, 150 watt and red 100 watt. I hope it keeps it above the 20's. The coop is draft free but not insulated. The floor has about a foot and 1/2 of shavings in it. I fed them scratch plus shelled sunflowers just before closing the coop at 4:30pm. Its not that the temp is so bad its that they have never had these before. Jean

5. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I used the ceramic thing in my brooder - it worked for that small space.

You need to think about your electic bill as well - really your chickens will be FINE without heat. We were -5 last night and I had no frozen chicken this morning.

Right now its 16 out, and the chickens are picking around in the snow.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  6. Granolamom

Granolamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Dallas
    Quote:That's exactly what I have, a really long extension cord from my deck to my coop. I have it turned on right now, and I also put a thermometer in there with it. The temp was 28 degrees in there before, and I'll check it in a little while, to see if it really makes a difference.

7. waynesgarden

waynesgarden Feathers of Steel

Mar 30, 2008
    Oxford County
    Quote:Birds are fine here in Western Maine, also. Twelve below (3 above inside the coop and happy birds when I looked in this morning.) So yeah, I do smile a bit when people feel better by spending money to heat a coop that doesn't need it.

Make sure that the lamp you screw it into has a porcelain socket, and not a plastic one or you may burn your coop down.

Wayne

8. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    I switched from a red bulb to a ceramic heater when I was brooding chicks last spring, and the chicks were much quieter. I now am using it in my coop since it will -10 or lower tonight.

9. setter4

setter4 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Central Pennsylvania
    I have been using the ceramic heat emitter bulb in my coop since the weather got really cold here. In fact I switched from a 65w to a 150w yesterday since we are in an arctic blast here. It and a heated dog bowl have been enough to keep their water thawed and at least a tiny bit of warmth in there anyway.

10. vermontgal

vermontgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Tonight I'm giving a 100watt heat emitter its first whirl. 250 watts I believe is overkill for my small coop.

Tonight the forecast low is -16F but the NWS has been running "warm" in their predictions. Last night's actual was -20F whereas they had forecast -9F. Because I didn't realize it was gonna get that cold, they didn't have any heat last night, and the inside coop temp was +6.

My goal is to heat the coop just on very chilly nights to keep the inside coop temp at +10F or warmer. If I only had pea combs, I wouldn't heat at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by