Ceramic reptile heater.. will chicks eat at night?

alessadry

Songster
8 Years
Mar 3, 2011
Hello,
So after reading around, I discovered ceramic reptile heater and got one today at the pet store for my week-old chicks. My baby chicks were too hyper with the red brooder lamp and were eating and chirping (although happily) throughout the night and they just never seemed to get good, restful sleep. So we put it the ceramic heater now and gosh, it is sooooo quiet. I never saw them so relaxed, it's like they really needed it.

Now I am wondering though will they eat during the night? or will the darkness cause them to sleep through the night? Do they need to eat during the night?

Last edited:
They don't need to eat at night. They will wake with mighty fine appetites in the morning.. How many chick do you have?? Post some pix of heater and your chicks. How many watts is your heater? Just curious.
WISHING YOU BEST.
thumbsup.gif

Broody hens don't use flashlights.
1f60b.png
Sorry, couldn't resist. No, they don't need to eat at night but they will if the lights are on. I've noticed that mine tank up as the sun is setting (I'm using the heating pad cave) and go to bed with a full crop. Smart little peeps.

A Chickens crop is kinda like our shirt tucked in our pants and we go to the cabinet, fridge, stove and get things to munch on----sticking them in our shirt. Then at night with no lights--we can keep getting some food from out the "storage" to munch on at night without getting up----LOL.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom