Certifications to make my chicken eggs more appealing?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Eggwell, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Eggwell

Eggwell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2014
    Can anyone tell me if there are any kinds of certifications to make my chicken eggs more appealing?

I am attempting to make my chicken lots very large so they can be happy free range chickens, with safety in mind from all the hawks that scope this area. I do what ever I can to make sure they are healthy by cleaning their coops on a regular basis, gather eggs daily, and giving spacious indoor nesting and roosting.

With all that being said, is there certifications I could acquire to make my eggs more appealing to the health conscience consumer looking for good quality eggs?

Thanks,

Eggwell

2. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Organic, free range, and NPIP are all good. NPIP is really good if you choose to start selling fertilized/hatching eggs as well.

1 person likes this.
  3. foreverlearning

Aug 4, 2013
    What state do you live in?

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Personally, to me "certification" = "interference" lol. I don't want or need folks on my place, telling me what I need to be doing with my birds. Just advertise your birds as they are. Pastured is good, if it's appropriate with your situation. How clean you keep the coop really isn't a selling point, folks buying eggs want to know what the birds ate and if they're allowed to move around. Most folks here just say the eggs are from backyard hens, talk about what they eat, if they get to range at all, things like that. Those are your selling points.

1 person likes this.
  5. Eggwell

Jan 3, 2014
    I live in Spartanburg County of South Carolina.

6. foreverlearning

Aug 4, 2013
    This is who you contact for your state. They come to you and the fees are different in every state. Some states do it for free to keep poultry illness from spreading in their respective states where others charge for the testing.

Dr. Julie D. Helm, Clemson University Livestock Poultry Health Division,
    P.O. Box 102406, Columbia 29224. Phone: (803)788-2260, FAX: (803)736-0885.
    E-mail: [email protected]

I would call, if there is a fee they are usually small, my state is $15 a year for the flock.

1 person likes this.
  7. Eggwell

Jan 3, 2014
    Wow! Thank you so much. I will do just that. Clemson University is not far from here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by