Certified dog trainer?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by NewHopePoultry, Oct 26, 2011.

1. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    Ive been training my dogs every since I was 9 and the last few years Ive been training my friends & family dogs.
    Everyone always tells me I should be a dog trainer and lately Ive been thinking about it alot.
    How do I become a Certified dog trainer?

2. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    When I shop for a trainer "certification" means next to nothing. There are a few hands on programs that offer apprenticeships, but most places are a quick class and don't even require you to have a dog. PetCo and PetsMart, for example, boast "certified" trainers - it's a couple of short classes and TADA. I've only met a few who know even a minimum about dogs. My local PetCo trainer takes her dog to my trainer.

Results are what matter to me. I want to see what you've accomplished. If I'm just looking for a "pet" class or basic obedience, I expect you to have put a CGC on a couple of dogs at a minimum. Not necessarily your dogs, but dogs you have trained. For more advanced classes, I would expect you to have more advanced titles, at least Rally Excellent. Again, you sh ould ideally be able to point to other dogs you have worked with or at a minimum references from owners you have worked with.

You said friends and family. Did YOU train/work the dogs or did you train the owner? Two VERY different scenarios. To be a good dog trainer, you have to not only know dogs but people. Then i'd want to see you in action, watch a class or training session and see how you interact with the dogs. I'd also want to know what experience you had working with my breed of dog.

For example, my trainer has several Rally and agility titles on her dogs. She has numerous clients who have titled dogs with her help - rally, obedience, and agility. She is cerified through AKC to do CGC testing. She has started several dogs into therapy work as well.

3. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
  4. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    A friend of mine is a certified trainer and she went to someplace in California for several months. Her program was quite extensive, but I'm sure there are many programs where you just pay some money and you get a certificate off of their Xerox machine. As someone else mentioned, a HUGE part of being a professional trainer is knowing how to handle people. Generally they are the ones who are doing everything wrong, not the dog!

5. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    Agreed. People are oh so much harder to train than dogs. [​IMG] Really.

6. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    Quite a few dog trainers are doing an online certification course and then taking a multiple answer test given in various locations during the year. I cna't remember what the program is called, but would not recommend it. It cannot test for skill or application of knowledge, only book knowledge. I recently went to a class at a big facility nearby run by one of these graduates and was appalled.

7. NewHopePoultry

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    I trained both the dogs and the owners. Owners are harder since they think they are always right and the dog is wrong.
    Ive done CGC on a few dogs (my own)

Ive looked into the "online" classes, but I want something more hands on.

Thanks for the link

8. Eyeheartquail

Eyeheartquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
  9. NewHopePoultry

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    thanks!

10. NewHopePoultry

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    Ive looked into Animal Behavior Collge and they seem ok, but I want something more

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by