1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chain link dog kennel warning

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by bryan99705, Jun 6, 2011.

1. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

It happened again. Friend called and was hit by a stray dog today (lucky it could not fit thru the chicken door)

His run is dog kennel panels but we saw that not every end of the wire was secured to the pipe frame. The dog pushed thru a gap between the cheezy factory fasteners and pulled one loose possibly damaged and got in the run.

Please check along the base of your panels and make sure you are as secure as you think you are

2. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    I would cover the bottom of any chainlink with hardware cloth at least 2 feet up. We had german shepherds and they DESTROYED a brand NEW Chainlink Dog pen...just to get out and run around...I can imagine what a dog could do to get a chicken...

3. bantamsrmyfav

bantamsrmyfav Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    US & Canada
    Thank you for the warning. Glad his chickens are safe.

4. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    I'd go even tougher than barefootmom, in that I would put hog wire OVER the hardware cloth on the bottom three feet.

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Glad a your friend's chickere ok. Unfortunately there is a lot of poorly-made chainlink on the market today -- flimsy gauge wire, not tightly enough stretched, too loosely attached to frame with wrong fasteners and too few of 'em, that sort of thing. Your post is a good reminder for people to be careful.

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by