chain link dog pen ?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by newbie, May 14, 2008.

1. newbie

newbie New Egg

Aug 23, 2007
    we used a 10'x10' dog pen with screening on top as a chicken run & a dog house as the house, when we had 4 hens & 1 rooster. Now that my granchildren love watching them so much, we now have 20 hens. We converted the chain link pen into their house and the dog house into the nesting box (also used covered cat litter boxes as nesting boxes, portable & easier to clean). We put the nesting boxes on a stand & their roost under it. In the winter we put up plywood completely around the pen & wrap it in tarps. For the roof we put up that wavy plastic that they use for decks or porches. Plan on a real roof next yr. I jam in strips of foam to fill in cracks at the top to protect from drafts. In the late spring, summer, and early fall we take off the plywood & tarps and they have good ventlation on the humid MO summers.

2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    That sounds awesome.

3. flopsy

flopsy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2008
    Wow, good to know the old dog kennels can have another use. Hubby built our coop inside the kennel (because of predators) and we'll have a run that attaches to it. No chickens yet, but soon!!

4. beefy

beefy Flamingo Daddy-o

Apr 21, 2007
    South Georgia
    how about posting some pics of your dogkennelcoops?

5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Yes Pics would be cool [​IMG] We almost used a dog kennel for a chicken coop but then I decided that we need to keep the dog kennel for my sister when she visits with her dog lol PLUS we went from wanting 5 chickens to 25. Well, I DID anyhow!

6. amysue2012

amysue2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2007
    Montpelier Ohio
    That's about the same as my coop. The previous owners raised hunting dogs. We didnt really change anything outside. We didnt even put a top on its a 50' x 50' fenced in area with several good sized trees growing. I converted the inside of the kennel area for nest boxes, I hung the water and feeder on chains from the ceiling, just a few inches off of the ground, that way they cant scratch dirt into the water and feeder. When they first started acting like they wanted to fly I clipped their wings like you would a parot (not to hurt them just so they couldnt fly) they learned fast. I really dont have any problems, and its been this way for almost a year.

7. onecent

onecent Chillin' With My Peeps

here are a few of my dog kennel coop & run, its 10x20.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. DENALI

DENALI Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
  9. chicknhawaii

chicknhawaii Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Honolulu, HI
    I am in love with those bucket nests! I've been racking my brain (w/o researching) for ideas for nest boxes and have come up blank. AWESOME, if you don't mind, I'm going to do the bucket thing too. [​IMG]

10. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    they look good and affordable. How do you put stuff over the top so hawks won't get in. Could you just take flight netting spread it over and zip-tie it to the chain link? or can you buy covered dog pens?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by