1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chain link fence run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Anny, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    I know alot of people on here have chain link fence runs. What do you do to make them safer?
    What kind of cover do you put over the top?
    Did you attach hardware cloth?
    If you did attach hardware cloth, how did you do it?

What would you do differently about your run if you could?

Post your chain link run picture below!

2. CATRAY44

CATRAY44 Lard Cookin Chicken Woman

I covered my chain link fence run with hardware cloth from the ground up past my waist. I overlapped that with a heavy gauge chicken wire to the top. I covered the top with with chicken wire (against hawks). I used a hog ringer and pig rings to attach the wire to the chain link. Hog ringers are pretty inexpensive, as are the rings. Pretty easy way to do it, and durable. We also have large railroad ties buried in the ground, and the chain link is buried, as well.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2008
  3. Anny

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    Thank you for the advise, hey I'm also from South East Michigan!

4. geareduplyn

geareduplyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2008
    Salley SC
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Covered with chain link panels. Bases treated 2X12's buried on top cement footing

[​IMG]

Temporary Free range growout coops...Covered with mesh truck load tarps from Harbor Freight

5. Anny

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    Are those old dog runs??

6. geareduplyn

geareduplyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2008
    Salley SC
    Actually they are new dog runs. You can't see it from the pictures but the chain link is fastened in the panels, at the lower edges with rods and bolts. Any determined large critter can rip ordinary chain link ties off with ease. Gauranteed to keep everything out or in except Grizzly bears.

7. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    I have dog run kennels too...one is a 10X6 with 7 chickens, a 3x12 with 6 bantams and then a little kennel made from some left over space that is 2x6 for an injured hen and a friend.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edit to add: oh and we just renovated them but adding clear corrugated roofing to the whole run to keep them dry.

8. CATRAY44

CATRAY44 Lard Cookin Chicken Woman

Hello Anny! Where abouts are you? I am in the Somerset Center/Jerome area...

9. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

You just got to make sure you have a closed area for at night as chain link and most other fencing will allow all mink, weasel, rats, good sized snakes and many other smaller critters direct access to birds. Most can get through a 2 inch opening easy.

they will go through it, over it, under it, chew threw, what ever it take for a meal...The more secure you have it the better, we have plenty of black bear here and with-in the past 6 years never had any bother our coops..gues it isnt worth there while to gain accesses. of course we also have motion censing lights all around our coops to which i believe helps ward of critters to..

Here Our coops/houses that are attached to are runs all have small coop doors that are closed up tight each and every night, this is somthing we made a habbit of not forgetting to do.....we never once relax on this issue..

also When are coops are cleaned every 2 months we always inspect the coop floor for any possible chewing of these critter trying to gain access...

With fall and winter coming, alot of young critters will be looking for easy meals..that is a fact...be ready...If not secure somthing will sooner or later gain access..Like the old timers always said to me, if you protect your chickens at night, they will be there in the morning..

Here is a pic of one of the small doors leading into a run area...
    [​IMG]
    back view pic
    [​IMG]

Charlie

Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  10. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I have a dog kennel run with tin roofing to keep the rain and prediators out. I have also buried wire fencing around the outside edges and refasened the chainlink in the process.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by