Chain link?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by JodyP, Apr 13, 2012.

1. JodyP

JodyP New Egg

Apr 10, 2012
    Hi, I am new here and I posted this ? in the New Member Introduction area.

I thought about using chain link panels for the chicken yard. Are the holes in chain link mesh too large? I appreciate and need any feedback. Thanks!

GLAD I FOUND THIS SITE!

2. SacCityChickens

SacCityChickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2012
    Sacramento Ca
    I added two 6' chain link gates to make a side yard into a chicken yard.
    It keeps the chickens in but it's not predator proof. You'll need something to lock them up at night.
    Good luck
    SCC
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. JodyP

JodyP New Egg

Apr 10, 2012
    I am going to build a coop to keep them at night
    and plan on using the chian link for the run like the pic you posted. Would that be advisable?

4. SacCityChickens

SacCityChickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2012
    Sacramento Ca
    That's what I do
    Good luck
    SCC

5. twinzmom

twinzmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Saugerties NY
    We also used chain link fence, mostly because we got it for free. Next we are burying 18" of hardware cloth around the perimeter to try to keep diggers out. So far nothing has tried or succeeded in getting into the run, as far as we can tell.

6. brndn0515

brndn0515 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2012
    Im not speaking from experience, but many others that i know use 2" x 4" welded wire and the holes in that are bigger than chain link. And it has worked for great for many others, which would lead me to believe that chain link should also be fine. Good luck.

7. 3forfree

3forfree Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    essexville, michigan
    don't put chicks in a chain link encloser, they'll go right through the holes, Don't ask how I know this. I would put hardware cloth on the bottom of the dog pen and another 2ft of apron on the ground around it.

8. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Chain link is FINE. :) It will keep chickens in fine, too. But if you are getting a dog kennel or a run, do look for a 6ft tall one. Every now and then I do have a bird go over the top of mine (6ft) but it's rare now that they are getting older. If you have very small chicks, you could add hardware cloth or chicken wire to the bottom to make the holes smaller on the bottom 2 feet. My birds are locked up at night, so I'm not too worried about predators. The chain link keeps out our neighborhood dogs just fine. :)

9. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

That's what I do.
    It works fine for larger predators, but won't keep out smaller ones like rats or weasels, and last year I watched a small possum lie on it's back and wiggle through the curved corner, (at the bottom of the gate) to get to the feed.
    It is also like a ladder for predators that can climb, so you may need to consider a cover for it.
    So it depends on the predators you have in your area. Keep in mind that raccoons and possums do come out during the day.
    I have also heard that some chainlink is not very securely attached to the frame with the soft wire; and larger predators could push their way through it, so it might need to be reinforced.

Imp

10. JodyP

JodyP New Egg

Apr 10, 2012
    Thanks so much for your responses! So VERY much appreciated!
    The chain link I am getting is a dog kennel. The panels are 10x10x6. I plan on covering it. I also plan on housing the birds at night and keeping the food inside the coop. I will also put hardware cloth around the bottom and plan on an apron as well. We will most likely have all kinds of predators so I don't want to forget anything.
    Am I missing anything?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by