CHAINSAWS Big Boys Toys.

fatboys farm

Songster
10 Years
Oct 3, 2009
Franklin GA
Anybody out there loves chainsaws. I'm not talking about the Poulan 14 inch Woodshark or the old Remington electric saw i'm thinking maybe a 039 22 inch Stihl Farm Boss, or 20 inch Poulan 3400 Wizard Countervibe or a Husky 555 with the old outlawed oversized bow blade the one that terrifies my sweet wife who figures its going to mangle me one day. I'm 6'2 @ 320 lbs and love to drop big trees. I have 9 chainsaws in all some dating back to the 1950's

Stihl fans here- 310, 290 and a small limbing saw. And it's not just boys who love powerful toys.
wink.png

I've got an Echo that has endured a crazy beating and still runs great. I put a 20" bar on it 2 years ago and it kicks some serious tree butt. It's a much better saw than I am an operator.

My other 2 are a 16" Home Depot brand I bought on clearance for $90 and a cordless ryobi with a 12" bar (i think). Yeah they aren't real saws but do the trick in a pinch.

Will you stop over and give me a hand. My aim is bad. I dropped one 30" tree on my barn which slid down the roof line (strong barn I built) and rolled onto my pickup.
sad.png
Earlier this year I dropped a tiny 6" tree but it still managed to fall on my chain link chicken run.
sad.png

Last thing: Best thing I've done with my saws was to learn how to sharpen the chains myself. Wow, what a difference.

Last edited:
DH had two chainsaws, both Poulans. One with a short bar, 12" I think for cutting up and one with a large bar (not sure on size) for cutting down. He likes to cut big trees down as well and thankfully we have plenty around for him to cut, lol. He leaves the big healty trees and only cuts the ones that are dying or are dead and we have lots of those. We still have trees that are dying from the ice storm we had way back when.

hi yall its fatboy. hey CMV girls that run chainsaws are cool like a girl that drives a big 4X4 truck. Stihl saws rock i have an 066 but i keep it on the low my wife dont like the big saws. purple chicken an echo is commercial grade i bet it does cut good and we want talk about the others. clucky chicken poulans are one of my favorite saws a Poulan 3400 wizard countervibe started me down this road about 20 yrs ago. keep them chainsaw stories coming. i will send the best one some very dark eggs from my FBC Marans @Welsummers. ps tips on sharpening.

That's about all I know about chainsaws. DH prefers Poulans to any others, don't know why myself but there's gotta be a reason right? He actually let me use one (the little one) this past spring as we cleared down trees and brush and burned a bunch in the woods. We have like 10 ac. of low land that is just over populated causing small tree growth. The crowding causes tree death so we try to get down there in the spring and cut some up. I sell the extra wood to my DB or trade it out for auto work as he's an ASE mechanic, lol. I'm sure if I let him my DH would get a new Poulan everytime they came out with a new one. Kinda like lawnmowers and weedeaters, lol.

I'm a Stihl fan too. I am a woman and I have my own chainsaw!!!!!!!

You'll laugh, but I did insist on the easy start technology. We have it on the lawnmower too. With DH being a lefty, he has pulled the cord out of more traditional-starting small engines than I care to count (in only a 3 year marriage!!!!) so the special start is not just for wimpy lil ole me, it's so I don't constantly have my tools in the shop!!
lol.png

I am a huge fan of Stihl saws. I have an 021 with 16" bar for pruning and small remodeling projects and an 044 with 28" bar for cutting firewood and larger remodeling projects. And for the really big stuff I have an old (1956) Mercury. It is a 2 cylinder 11hp with an 8' bar. Yes the mercury is a 2 (strong) person saw. It runs but I don't use it just keep it for show and tell. And of course when ya cut big wood ya need a splitter to handle it. I have a home built splitter that I power with my 35hp IHC tractor.

23104_im000060.jpg

Back
Top Bottom