chalky eggs

mollytinney

Hatching
7 Years
Jun 14, 2012
Redwood City, California
I am searching for an explanation for the white chalky residue on the outside of my Maran's eggs. The four eggs on the right are all hers. She only lays a chalky one every three eggs or so. She is on organic omega 3 fortified layer crumble, has access to oyster shell, gets yogurt once or twice a week (maybe too large of a quantity?), has ACV in her water, she seems happy and healthy. The other weird thing about her eggs is she almost always has a blood spot and the chalazae (sp?) is huge and covers part of the yolk. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the link, now I just need to figure out what to do about it. Any ideas?
It is not all of her eggs, so I wonder if she is eating too many oyster shells on certain days, I don't want to remove the oyster shells because the other girls need them.
Thanks!

If they are getting a good quality layer feed already they shouldn't need much oystershell and other extras. Cut back on both the shells and the yoghurt and see if there is a pattern. Does she lay the eggs a day or 2 after eating the yoghurt? Put the oystershells out and see what she does and then check her eggs again. That should help eliminate/identify the cause. Hens usually regulate their calcium intake fairly well though, but when it comes to things like treats...

Is she getting bullied by the other hens? Something new and strange in the coop/yard that may be bothering or scaring her? If not the problem may be with her shell gland. If she's a youngish layer it will hopefully clear up as she matures more and works out the kinks in her reproductive system. I missed the bit in your post about the blood spot. That can also be caused by incorrect nutrition. More info in the article I linked for you, near the bottom.

I agree, you've got a lot of calcium going on there. Layer feed alone should be enough for all your layers. I'd remove the oyster shell and yogurt and see how things go.

Back
Top Bottom