chalky white band round eggshell..what causes this

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by spish, Jul 7, 2010.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    i took on 35 ex battery hens this week and every single one laid within the first 12 hours of having them. now out of the 35 eggs, about 20 had a white chalky ring/circle on the egg shell..what would cause this? stress? calcium? something else? the egg inside is fine but the shell just looks a bit unappealing like that.....

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

3. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I think that it is diet related. Once they have a good mixed diet it will stop. Battery hens are kept on avery monotonous diet,

Sandie

4. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    here is a photot to show what im on about

[​IMG]

5. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Having looked at these eggs, it almost seems that they have been sitting in something damp to have caused the marks. Could this be the case?

Usually when the white bands are diet related the bands are circumferential.

Sandie

6. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    nope they are all from different houses, freshly brought in and none of the houses are damp. i was wondering if it was access calcium or maybe stress related? been reading online about white rings appearing in the eggs of stressed chickens but couldnt find any pictures to back this up if it was the same white rings?

7. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    and so far today no eggs collected have the white ring.......

8. DragonFeathers

DragonFeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Maryland
    I have had this happen to the eggs I find on the floor.

9. TsaLaGi Acres

TsaLaGi Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    I think it's beautiful that you gave so many battery chickens a new home and whole new quality of life!! As said in above posts, their eggs will probably straighten out real soon because they are now getting a better quality feed source!!

Not trying to high-jack your thread by no means but could you tell me how you go about getting battery chickens and how much they charge for them? I would love to get some (not that we 'need' more chickens lol But, we have a slight chicken-addiction [​IMG] We let most of ours free-range and all are fat and sassy, spoiled rotten lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by