Challenges w/ a new hen in the flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Wizbop, May 3, 2011.

1. Wizbop

Wizbop Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Greensboro, NC
    We've got a new girl and our other two are very intimidated by her (she's a bit bossy and is picking on them, so I can't blame them). Well, the newby hasn't yet grasped the concept of where I want her to lay her eggs as I don't care to go on an egg hunt each day. I found one of hers today down in a corner of our lot. So, I've got them ALL in the coop right now. We've got a small tractor coop. "Vera" (the newby) hid from me last night and slept out on her own (who knows where, we combed the property) and was out again this morning at sunrise. Are these challenges to be expected with a new hen in the flock? I lost a RIR hen two weeks ago. She was a lower ranking hen. Presently "Ida Claire" has given "Vera" reign over the yard, but is not taking it well. Our girls free range. Insight? Feedback?

2. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    I would lock the new hen in the coop with food and water for at least 3-5 days that way she knows where home is, she will learn to lay the eggs in the nest box I put golf balls in mine the more the better it seems hen's like to lay where the others laid seems safer. Then start letting her out when its close to coop time she should learn where to roost and lay. Good luck.

3. Wizbop

Wizbop Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Greensboro, NC
    Quote:Well, that means they've ALL got to be locked up then. We only have ONE coop. I have plastic easter eggs in there for her. Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by