Challenging established pecking order

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Bante, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Bante

Bante New Egg

Jan 20, 2013
    I have four Pekin Bantams. They had a long established pecking order and were getting along fine. Recently, number three in the pecking order has started to challenge number one, and has made for comb bleed and has even got her around the eye. This is difficult to watch and I have been trying to separate them as much as possible (they free range in our big back yard). I want it all to stop - any suggestions?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] It won't stop until number one puts number three in her place or gives in and recognizes the upstart as dominant. Keeping them separate only drags out the process. The pecking order is indeed a 'process' with those on the bottom looking for an opportunity to improve their position. Chicken society is frequently unpleasant to watch.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Yup, sourland explains it perfectly. Pecking order is dynamic, not static. Any change of location, addition or removal of any flock member will certainly start it all over again, flock wide. The "decision" to attempt to raise rank can spring up any time.

4. Bante

Bante New Egg

Jan 20, 2013
    Thanks sourland and gryeyes for your help. I do hope it will be all over soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by