Chance of Kidding - Monday PM Update!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by greenfamilyfarms, Mar 4, 2009.

1. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    The does are looking rather plump, their udders have been filling since late Dec/early Jan. They are also eating like hogs and can no longer run around the pasture because of their size.

Update 3/9/09:
    The light-headed does' udder is getting firm/hard. It was bouncy and soft yesterday and today it feels firmer. It's not really any larger and feels like it has sand in it. Is she getting close?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  2. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Well, according to the oft "followed to the letter" Does Sacred Code of Honor...[​IMG]

I hope they wait til next week for you!

3. greenfamilyfarms

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    So, I came home Saturday and no babies (relief). Here are some pictures I took of them yesterday.

The light-headed doe is getting really boney around her backbone and hips. Is this normal? I checked her for anemia and she's fine. She's been getting a drench once a week for the past month. She doesn't seem like she's in distress, it is just bothering me. The other doe (dark-head) is still rather fleshy.

Any suggestions? This is their first kidding.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    Well with mine I can usually tell when the ligaments are gone and the hoohoo swells then flattens and mucus starts dribbling out the back. Some have it and some dont. Usually the udder will get tight and very firm, with teats strutting. and mine dont want me out of their sight...check around the tail head and up towards the hip bones to check the ligaments. It will feel really spongy and almost where you can tough your fingers together when you check.

5. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    50/50 chance they will or they won"t!

6. abluechipstock

abluechipstock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    fort ashby, wv
    i'm sitting here waiting for my goats to kid, they are big as barrels, i know when they were bred, they have mucus around their vulvas which are swollen like crazy and here i wait ever so patiently, watching so intently for the first contraction, i need a break, this is day 2 of watching LOL, i have 7 does to kid [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. justhatchin

justhatchin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2008
    Galva, Kansas
    "The light-headed doe is getting really boney around her backbone and hips. Is this normal? I checked her for anemia and she's fine. She's been getting a drench once a week for the past month. She doesn't seem like she's in distress, it is just bothering me. The other doe (dark-head) is still rather fleshy. "

I don't believe this was directly answered, CHATYCHICK said it but in a different way. Yes that is a sign they are getting close generally in a day or two. Some of mine will go a week or two like that- older does.
    Your goats look great! They will know what to do when the time comes. Most goats can kid and do just fine on their own- natural instincts will kick in. We people like to think they can't but I have come to learn to stand back and give them their room and most things work out fine. I use to be right there waiting with a old sheet to wipe them down and cuddle them and sometimes we noticed it makes the doe not do her thing- like she says ok you do it. I do watch and step in when needed. Drying off noses and wiping dry when it is really cold, hooking on a weak kid. Good luck. We'll be watching for baby pic's

8. greenfamilyfarms

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Read my first post -

I think I'm going to have baby/ies running around soon! What do ya'll think?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by