chance to pick up some meeat birds

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by buffedbarredandbrahmed, Aug 18, 2008.

1. buffedbarredandbrahmed

buffedbarredandbrahmed Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2008
    austin tx
    i have a chance to pick up a few c rocks on sunday and i need to ask a few questions.
    they are 3 weeks old and weight 2.5 lbs that sound ok?
    i have read that they cant have food all day long so how long do they need to be fed?
    these are going to be my first meat birds.

thanks j k k

2. Red Tie

Red Tie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    Metamora, MI
    I fed mine 24/7 and they did just fine. Weighed in at seven weeks, 6-9 lbs. Since they are old enough and you live where it is very warm, they won't need a light. They won't eat when it is dark. Keeping them cool is the biggest trick. I kept mine with a fan on them 24/7. The older/larger they get, the hotter they become!

Good luck with them, I liked the big guys!

Jane

3. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    Weight sounds right.

Your actually are about a week a way from having some "cornish game hen" for baking.

Red tie is correct, if it gets too hot they will drop dead like flies at a Raid convention.

4. buffedbarredandbrahmed

Jul 28, 2008
    austin tx
    cool i just heard they EAT ALOT so no biggie. we love bbq and that is what i mainly want to do with them, is there a good weight for that thanks

5. buffedbarredandbrahmed

Jul 28, 2008
    austin tx
    also do they need to be cooler than my other chicks

6. Red Tie

Red Tie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    Metamora, MI
    MUCH cooler than regular chickens. Their feed conversion rate makes them hot. Digestion produces heat and since they eat so much....

When it was hot AND humid was the worst time for them. That is when I would take their food away at about 8 am and not give it back to them until about 8 pm. A full crop is just too hot for them. Had to do this up here for about a week. They just laid in front of the fans all day. Keep the water very close to the fan and where they lay. They can get so hot so quickly they can't get up and get to the water and will just die.

jane

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by