Chances of broodiness in Easter Eggers and Wyandottes?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by StarLover21, Mar 7, 2012.

1. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    What's the chance of broodiness in these breeds? I just got and EE and an Silver Laced Wyandotte, adorable sweet girls, and am wondering if they'll go broody on me.
    Thanks!
    Oh and they're from a breeder in Missouri.

2. StarLover21

Oct 11, 2011
    Anybody know?

3. 2overeasy

2overeasy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Birchwood, TN
    Well, I know it's been 3 weeks since you posted this, but I found it as I was researching Wyandotte broodiness. I have 7 Wyandotte's that will be a year old next month. I've already had one go broody and hatched out 6 chicks yesterday! And I'm so hoping this isn't the case for the other 6 because I also have cochins and silkies - probably the two worst for brooding. Yikes! I'll be up to my eyeballs in chickens. ;-)
    Anyway, I read several threads here about that breed and several people asking the same question. And ye, apparently they're fairly frequent brooders.
    Now as to my 3 EE's, only one has gone broody in 3 years. She was hateful while nesting and then a terrible mamma. She abandoned them at 3 weeks. Poor things - they were lost without her. So I'm hoping no more from them.
    Hope that helps!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  4. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    It really depends on the breeding of the birds, to be honest. If they are hatchery birds, the answer is: not very likely.

EEs from hatcheries are bred for egg production, for which going broody would be detrimental. So it's bred out of them. My EE from a hatchery almost keeps pace with my high production Sexlinks.

Your Wyandotte would be more likely to lean towards broodiness, but again it depends on the hatchery you got her from. If the hatchery has focused on their lines as dual purpose, rather than egg-laying, your chances for broodiness will be higher.

Hope that helps a bit.

5. StarLover21

Oct 11, 2011
    Thanks guys! We got her from a person who got them from a 'breeder' in Missouri. So she's not a hatchery bird. Does that make it more likely she goes broody?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by