chances of eggs hatching

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickeneer45, Oct 1, 2012.

1. chickeneer45

chickeneer45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2012
    i am still EXTREMELY new to chickens and i have introduced a rooster to the flock. what are the chances that he will mate with the females? Will he be picky about which he mates with? What are the chances the eggs will hatch? What are the chances the chicks will live to grow up? i know pretty much nothing so thanks for any insight!
    -chickeneer45

2. kellysmall87

kellysmall87 Chillin' With My Peeps

yes he will mate with the hens if he is of cock-a-doodle-dooing age and provided your hens are ready to mate too (showing signs of stooping and egg laying). The chances of eggs being fertile are relative to how much mating has gone on. He will probably have a favourite, so her eggs will be best to hatch.

If you are using an Incubator to hatch them, then you can test fertility on day 7 via candling. Google this or search on here about it, it's literally shining a high powered light through the egg to reveal an embryo inside. If you are wanting to hatch some naturally, then you must wait until a hen goes broody. Some breeds don't go broody due to it being bred out, but silkies are good broodys and good mothers, and if you leave some eggs in her nest gradually over a few days then she will start to sit on them and raise them as her own, even if they are not. You should generally segregate (i think) a mother and her chicks from the rest of the flock- but not sure. Research this.

Thanks, Kelly.

1 person likes this.
  3. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

If the mother is high up in the pecking order, and if she is a protective broody, it's fine to leave them with the flock. Just make sure feed is starter and not layer. The older birds can eat starter (even medicated) as the medication never leaves their gut. I only leave protective broodies in the main coop. There are a few that are way too low in the pecking order to consider it. I have this one silkie hen that will literally rip the tail feathers out of anyone who dares come within 10 feet of her and her babies. Sometimes she chases them just for fun. I've seen her catch, rip the feathers out, and feed them to her babies. :rolleyes:

That is a good broody. She is very dedicated :p

As for your original questions, Kelly answered them just as I would. I find the best fertility happens after 8 months old. He will mate whoever he can catch. He will favour the easiest to submit to his whims.

4. chickeneer45

chickeneer45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2012
    thanks a lot, the chicken i have in mind is very vicious (head of the pecking order)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by