Chances of survival

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Stewzoo, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Stewzoo

Stewzoo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2012
    I have a little Belgian D'Uccle who was hatched a tad over 3 weeks ago. He had spraddle leg, and we fashioned some sort of harness to try to solve the issue. It was not successful and I figured "nature would take it's course". He made it! He is currently 1/2 the size of his hatch mates and against all odds has survived. His one leg is normal...while the other is 180 degrees backwards. We have him "casted" tonight. Long term...what do you think his life expectancy is? He really grew on us with his will to survive. He has been named "Forrest Gump".

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Was it spraddle leg or some other leg defect do you have pics of him after he hatched and now
    I currently have a pet silkie who hatched with a horrible leg problem who I had to hand feed and water and fashon a wheel chair for for the first 2 or so weeks of her life. She is self sufficent now at about 5+ months but her leg is still messed up to a degree and she has a heavy limp and if she gains much more weight I may have to set up a wheel chair for her again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Most leg and toe fixes need to be done in the first few days while the chick is still very pliable. If they arnt there is not alot you can do . If you want to save the baby try to carefully and gently maniplate the legg in to a little better postion and wrap or cast it , You cant just twist it into postion now you will hurt hte baby. You may be able to slowly slowly over the course of weeks work it gently into a better postion but you may just need to set up a wheel chair , or other device to help the baby live the way it is now with better quality of life. Butter isnt very uncomfertable and isnt inpain unless she tries to hope around quickly so I wont put her to sleep , if at some point she is in pain and I cant do anything for it I will put her to sleep as its not fair to her to make her suffer. IF your baby isnt in pain just work the best you can to improve his mobility and quailty of life and help him with what he needs.

1 person likes this.
  3. The chances of survival is good but he will be easy pray for predators.I had one like yours once he was mean to other chickens he was frustrated that he could not breed I hope that this dos not happen to you.He did get around all right.

4. Stewzoo

Stewzoo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2012
    Thanks for all the pictures. Today he seems to be doing ok. I don't think he likes his cast but he is eating and drinking. If he survives into adulthood, he will be kept in an enclosed pen so he won't be easy pickings for predators.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by