Beaker update

What should I do?

• Euthanize

• Keep it if it’s doing chicken things (eating, drinking, pooping)

• Other: Comment Below 👇🏼

Results are only viewable after voting.
I have zero experience with crossed beaks so don't pay any attention to me. I would guess that it can survive but likely not thrive.
Mash is a good idea. Commercial farms that trim their hen's beaks use mash.
She loves the mash! I’ll keep her here until I see she’s not doing well. Once I see a decline, I will cull her.

Need a name for her. I was thinking Beaker 😂

Her beak has seemed to stabilize and is not getting any worse. I believe that it is worse than the pics I shared earlier. I will get more pics. My husband was all worried about her for a bit because he didn't get how she can eat until he saw her actually eating.

She is eating mash (water in chick starter) and drinking fine. She is one of the biggest chicks I have of the 9. I am buying a dremel so that I can trim down her beak a bit so that she can eat even better. I believe she will thrive. She is a very happy chick and is the first one to run to the food before the others even notice.

Glad to hear she is doing well! My crossbeak easter eggers are ALWays first to run to the new food i put out too. Even if there is already plenty of food available, when i fill up the feeders, the crossbeaks are always there, letting me know they really APPreciate the food. (Food that the others take for granted). It does sound like your little girl will be fine. My adult crossbeaks are the same size and weight as their flockmates, so they clearly get enough to eat. But they still let me know how happy they are to see food show up!

I have a cross beak that has learned to thrive. The number one thing is to make sure she gets enough to eat, and to keep it filed so it doesn’t get any longer.
If she is in a flock when she’s older they may pick on her since she isn’t able to defend herself as well.
I wouldn’t cull her ever if possible! If she isn’t doing well in your flock and you don’t want to give her extra care, try reaching out and seeing if anyone will take her first. I know a few people who have special needs flocks.

I have a cross beak that has learned to thrive. The number one thing is to make sure she gets enough to eat, and to keep it filed so it doesn’t get any longer.
If she is in a flock when she’s older they may pick on her since she isn’t able to defend herself as well.
I wouldn’t cull her ever if possible! If she isn’t doing well in your flock and you don’t want to give her extra care, try reaching out and seeing if anyone will take her first. I know a few people who have special needs flocks.
I can free range here so she can just hang out around the house without being in the huge run we have. I’ll probably buy a nice little coop for my free rangers so they don’t even have to go onto the 4 coops in the run.

I have a cross beak rooster, Buffy. Your chick will be fine if she can eat and drink. You may need to get a deep feeder though.
IMG_0716.jpg

Back
Top Bottom