Chances that I'll have some chicks? Stories about broodies hatching eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Flutterbee, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Flutterbee

Flutterbee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Virginia
    So my hen, Edna, is currently sitting on about twelve to thirteen eggs. I've candled before and seen movement and today when I candled a few, I saw large masses inside some of the eggs (we're approaching either day fourteen or fifteen). It's been forever since I've had chicks and I was young enough not to really care until the chicks arrived, but now as an adult I'm very anxious if I'll have any success. Is there a good chance that I'll at least get one baby out of this mix? Sorry if I sound so stupid, I'm really hyperfocused on making sure they get here safe.

Is there anything I can do to help or protect Edna until the time comes? What does one do for "lockdown" when it comes to a hen rather than an incubator? And when do most eggs begin to hatch? Should I expect some "early birds" (no pun intended) or do most hatch around day 21?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  2. Stiggy

Stiggy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    Some breeds are a little earlier or a little later but 21 days is average, usually she will sit for 36 hours after the first one hatches to wait for stragglers. Out of 13 you should get a couple, especially if the eggs are fertile. Just let her go about her thing, you don't have to worry about lockdown with hens. Keeping her safe healthy and dry will be a biggie . Keeping her safe from predators also is important

1 person likes this.
  3. Flutterbee

Flutterbee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Virginia
    I really hope she sits for an extra thirty six hours. I was house-sitting when she started to sit so I honestly have no idea how long she's been sitting. I know it's been at least since the first of August. Today I candled a few of her eggs and I had one that looked fifteen days along, another thirteen, and one even eight :/ I feel like I failed her. I hope I'm not causing any harm by candling. She doesn't seem to mind, she puffs up and croaks but doesn't try to bite me. When I candle, I do only a few eggs at a time and have them out for thirty seconds at most.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  4. Stiggy

Stiggy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    They should be fine, I doubt she will get up as soon as one arrives, that's not how they do it and ive never seen it before. If you think that some are a few days behind it maybe wise to get or borrow an incubator and have it ready and at temp for when she does get off incase some are just a little behind

5. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Congratulations on your broody! What one does for "lockdown" should be to just leave the hen alone and let her do her job. The chicks may start hatching a little early, or they may not. But it will be somewhere around the 21 day mark. The 21 days is a guideline - not a set "rule". Most of the chicks should hatch within 24 hours of one another. Usually a hen will stay on the nest for a day or so after they start hatching, to make sure that all that will hatch do so. It's best not to bug her - especially once they start hatching. What I do is wait until day 22 or so, then check for any unhatched eggs. If they don't show signs of pipping or anything, I remove them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by