1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chancy's not herself!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by melishkia, Jul 6, 2016.

1. melishkia

melishkia Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2016
    Hello,
    we noticed yesterday that Chancy (Barred Rock) was not herself, she is just laying in the yard and closing her eyes like she's sleeping. She has always been the first to greet me and she still laid an egg yesterday and has been laying consecutively everyday, this is NOT HER at all! It has been really hot for a while but the past couple days have been raining and actually cooled down a little, I'm completely caught off guard by her behavior. I always wonder if our rooster could accidentally hurt the hens because he is so large (Brahma) is that possible? I'm considering bringing her in and keeping her in our guest bathroom a little bit for closer observation. She still ran out excitedly for mealworm's this morning [​IMG] I did move the starter/grower food out for the bigger chicks to eat but I saw her over there eating it the other day, could that have caused a problem?

2. melishkia

May 26, 2016
    She laid another egg today but she is just laying around really.. I'm quite surprised to see an egg. Not sure if its my imagination but her comb seems like its limp...

3. melishkia

May 26, 2016
    [​IMG]

Just laying around outside, this is what she does for most of the day... Not herself- she is usually always running around doing something.
    [​IMG]

She does have a dirty butt but it doesn't seem to be blocking anything, I palpated around her vent and didn't feel any firm objects (such as an egg) and she has been laying consecutively.
    [​IMG]

Cleaning her dirty butt.
    [​IMG]

The little ones learning about butt cleaning....
    [​IMG]

Eating a roach and a cricket that I found by the back door.

So she seems relatively normal just kind of mopey.. maybe this is normal for the heat? It just seems so sudden and she is acting sleepy more often. The only other conclusion I can come up with is we put rat bait out (in our house by the water heater) because of field mice, I've never seen them outside but who's to say they aren't around the chickens. Does anyone know the symptoms of a chicken that ate a poisoned mouse?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by