Change Feed Brands

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Reinbeau, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

Is it OK to change what you feed your chicks? Mine have been eating (for almost six weeks now, since I got them), Purina Mills Start & Grow medicated feed, containing Amprolium. Blue Seal Feeds chick starter contains the same medication. Is it all right to change them? I can get the Blue Seal up in NH for much less than the Purina down here (haven't looked for the Purina up there yet).

Also, what is the difference between crumbles and mash? I think I'm feeding them crumbles, it's clumped together a big larger than what I would consider a 'mash'.

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I don't think that would be any problem. I've switched mine before and have never had any problems. As a matter of fact, I just switched the older chicks feed brand a couple days ago again and they are doing just fine and dandy! I don't know what the difference is between the crumbles and the laying mash is. I might be wrong here, but I don't think there is one. I just think it's what the person calls it.

3. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Changing feed or textures can throw them off a bit, so add the other brand to your brand and switch them over.
    I picked up the same food but crumbles, I was feeding pellets, but at some point the bantam girls will need to have egg layer formula and I cannot imagine the bantams eating pellets- does anyone use pellets with Bants?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by