change in behaviour of young hens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bigyin43, Mar 15, 2011.

1. bigyin43

bigyin43 Just Hatched

Mar 15, 2011
    I have two young hens, (just started laying) one is a white sussex cross, growing well and just started laying eggs, but then i got an egg in a sac, with no shell, then i got a yolk on its own and since then no eggs from it , however i also have a bluebell (grey) which was laying , but has over the last day or so become very quiet , and seems to be moving to quiet areas on its own , and again has stopped laying. this all seems a bit strange to me as the other 4 hens, RIR are all ok and running around as normal. does anyone have any ideas, a) what may be the problem , b) any ideas of solving it , if there is one, or could it be that they are still a bit young and the eggs are erratic, and they still getting used to it.

any ideas welcomed.

thanks bigyin

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:When young hens first start laying, you'll see erractic egg laying like your seeing until they get their reproductive system fully grown/functional. Give it a little time and you'll have normal eggs in no time at all. You'll want to make sure they are fed layer feed, it has the necessary calcium they need. Also, try and provide them crushed oyster shell as free choice.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  3. bigyin43

bigyin43 Just Hatched

Mar 15, 2011
    They are on layer pellet s and treats, but the grey one seems a bit listless.
    it appears to have slightly runny poo, too.
    i have restricted treats, and am contemplting using a poultry tonic , any ideas on this ?

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    cutting back on treats may help. also something with probiotics in it may help too, plain good quality yogurt, butter milk. kefir all are good at helping the digestive track. If they have never had yogurt before you might want to mix up some feed in it and give a little to them so your not wasting it. My chickens love yogurt and kefir. You could also add some ACV and then switch to electrolytes .I give ACV one day in their water then the next day it's oxine then sometime use poultry drench. And like dawg said it takes a while to get the egg laying process going , but it will get going. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    As far as your "grey" hen is concerned, try soaking her in warm water in some kind of container. While she's soaking, gently massage her underside for about 10 minutes. The warm water will help expand her reproductive parts and massaging helps move an egg along if there's an egg in place. Then wear a plastic glove and put some olive oil on it and insert your finger into her vent feeling for any obstructions. Lube her vent with some olive oil with your finger. The stretching of her vent with your finger and olive oil lube will help her lay the egg much easier and with less stress.

6. bigyin43

bigyin43 Just Hatched

Mar 15, 2011
    thanks for feedback, will try one at a time and hope it helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by