change in color and thickness of egg shells - worms?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by vonchick, Mar 11, 2014.

1. vonchick

vonchick Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2010
    Madison, Florida
    I have a 2 1/2 Y/O buff orpington who has been laying well until about 5 days ago, when the color of her eggs changed from brown to white and the shells became very thin. Last night she layed a soft shelled egg during the night. While she's not really pale, her comb is lighter than its usual vibrant red. I looked up causes of pale egg shells and read it's the result of stress, usually parasites. The flock was recently wormed with safeguard, the last treatment was one month ago. Since that time we've had a lot of rain - conditions here in north Florida have been perfect for worm soup, and I know the girls have been drinking out of puddles. The feathers on her backside are clean, but some of the other hens are starting to show evidence of loose, messy poops. My question is, can I safely worm this hen again?

She is due for treatment for mites, although there is no sign she has them. Should I wait to see how she does after treatment with Frontline before thinking about worming?

Should I be looking for a cause other than parasites for the changes in the quality of her egg shells?

The flock free ranges and has layer pellets, oyster shell and (cooked) egg shells available.

I had only recently been thinking that this hen had never looked healthier - I guess it's always something!

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I'm not an expert on wormers since I live in a colder climate and have only wormed a couple times. I also understand that it is a bigger issue in the south.
    Not all anthelmintics are effective against all worms. Worms also become resistant if one is used over time. My best advice is to find out if they have worms, what kind and what the parasite load is before I would throw something else against the wall hoping something sticks.
    Take her fecal sample to any vet and have them tell you what they find. Then you'll know if it is worms or something else.
    Is your oyster shell and egg shell in a separate container or mixed with feed?
    Calcium is not always the answer. There needs to be a balance of Ca, phosphorus and vitamin D.
    Soft shells, thin shells and no shells can also be caused by a variety of diseases.

3. vonchick

vonchick Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2010
    Madison, Florida
    The oyster shell is separate and they go through a lot of it. Can you recommend a suppliment that provides the extra nutrients?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by